Corruption Watch: Journalist
Wednesday, August 1, 2012 - 10:20
Please note: this opportunity closing date has passed and may not be available any more.
Opportunity closing date:Monday, August 6, 2012
Corruption Watch seeks to appoint a Journalist, based in Johannesburg.
The successful candidate will join the Communications and Stakeholder Management unit and work closely with the existing team of CW’s professional investigators. S/he will also be responsible for undertaking field work as required and write coherent, accurate, and newsworthy content for the Corruption Watch website.
- Identify story ideas from the Corruption Watch data base of reported incidents of corruption;
- Initiate own investigation into cases reported to CW;
- Provide further research and field work into cases handled by the CW investigators;
- Write coherent and accurate newsworthy stories based on completed CW investigations;
- Write analytical news features based on corruption trends and research;
- Collaborate closely and support CW’s investigation, research and advocacy functions by providing strong writing skills.
- Strong writing and reporting skills;
- Minimum of three-years in print journalism;
- Ability to produce high-quality written news reports in English;
- Knowledge or experience of investigative reporting;
- Proven ability to work under pressure;
- Journalism diploma/degree or relevant equivalent;
- Courage, self-confidence, good teamwork and interpersonal skills;
- Knowledge of radio production is desirable;
- Ability to speak another South African language, other than English or Afrikaans, will be an added advantage.
Remuneration: Commensurate with experience. Corruption Watch is a grant-funded institution and the level of remuneration is dependent on available funding.
To apply, submit a covering letter motivating your application for the position, two examples of published print stories (preferably, investigative or in-depth analytical features), a detailed CV and details of three contactable references (including e-mail addresses) to Aadil Vally, Operations Manager, Corruption Watch at firstname.lastname@example.org or fax to: 011 447 2696 or post to: P O Box 113 Parklands, 2121.
If you do not hear from us within three weeks of the closing date, you can assume your application has been unsuccessful.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Shortlisted candidates will be required to conduct a written test as well as an interview.
For more about Corruption Watch, refer to www.www.corruptionwatch.org.za.
For other vacancies in the NGO sector, refer to www.ngopulse.org/vacancies.
Follow and support the 2012 SANGONeT "No Pain No Gain" fundraising and awareness-raising campaign. Refer to www.ngopulse.org/npng for more information and to make a donation.