Conservation South Africa
Conservation International (CI) is a nonprofit that builds upon a strong foundation of science, partnership and field demonstration. CI empowers societies to responsibly and sustainably care for nature, our global biodiversity, for the well-being of humanity.
Conservation South Africa seeks to appoint a Umzimvubu Rangeland Ecologist, based in Matatiele, Eastern Cape.
This is a 12-month contract position.
S/he will advise projects that create and develop new livelihoods for people based on the sound management of their biodiverse landscapes.
Conservation South Africa is seeking to hire a Rangeland Ecologist to provide ecological mentorship, interpretation and advice to projects that create and develop new livelihoods for people based on the sound management of their biodiverse landscapes throughout the Umzimvubu Watershed. The watershed consists of an area of two million hectares of communal and commercial rangelands from the southern Drakensberg to the Pondoland Coast. The post will be principally focussed on developing a baseline ecological assessment and supporting a range of ecological research projects in the Upper Umzimvubu Catchment in the Matatiele Local Municipality. Conservation South Africa is seeking an individual with a understanding of the ecological dynamics of the grassland mosaic of the region and we are particularly interested in individuals with knowledge of ecological restoration with experience of sustainable livestock management being beneficial.
The envisaged candidate will:
- Masters of Science degree with a major component in rangeland ecology;
- Two year’s work experience in a relevant field;
- Be energetic, physically fit and able to work both indoors and outdoors;
- Social and communication skills in spoken and written English and isiXhosa;
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team;
- Be disciplined, an efficient time-manager and deadline-driven;
- Be effective and communicate efficiently with distant management;
- A valid Code 08 driver’s license (essential);
- Familiar with standard computer software (e.g. Microsoft Office and ArcGIS).
Salary: R250 000 per annum
To apply, submit a CV, motivational letter, three referees and copy of your driver’s license to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please quote the source of this advertisement in your application - NGO Pulse Portal.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
For more about Conservation South Africa, refer to www.conservation.org.
For other vacancies in the NGO sector, refer to www.ngopulse.org/vacancies.
Secure your place in the 25th anniversary edition of the Prodder NGO Directory which will be released on 24 October 2012. Refer to www.prodder.org.za for more information.