Conservation South Africa: Namaqualand Field Ecologist
Tuesday, April 3, 2012 - 13:02
Conservation South Africa
Please note: this opportunity closing date has passed and may not be available any more.
Opportunity closing date:Friday, April 20, 2012
Conservation South Africa (CSA) seeks to appoint an ecologist as Namaqualand Field Ecologist, based in Springbok, Northern Cape.
S/he will lead ecological researches, data management and extension support in diverse range of off-reserve conservation projects related to climate change response and the planning and implementation of biodiversity stewardship in Namaqualand.
This is a one-year contract position.
- Biodiversity assessments;
- Site mapping;
- Restorate and monitor rangelands and wetlands;
- Work with communal and private land-users to build their capacity to improve land management;
- Assist research partners and field staff with data collection and analysis, and will be responsible for maintaining a database.
- Historically disadvantaged individuals and residents of Namaqualand are particularly encouraged to apply.
- Postgraduate degree with a major ecological component;
- Minimum of two years work experience in a relevant field;
- Minimum of a code 08 driver’s licence;
- GIS, mapping, and data management skills (Quantum GIS);
- Ability to design and implement a field ecology research project focused on conservation action;
- Oral and written English and Afrikaans skills;
- Written and verbal communication skills;
- Experience in conservation planning and working with local government will be an advantage;
- Understanding of restoration ecology or the ecology of semi-arid areas particularly the Succulent Karoo/Namaqualand will be an advantage.
To apply, submit a CV, contact details of three referees and motivation letter with ‘Namaqualand Field Ecologist’ in the subject line to the HR Manager, Merle van Wyk at firstname.lastname@example.org. Alternatively, post to 2 Tantaliet Straat, Springbok Industrial 8240, Northern Cape.
Please quote the source of this advertisement in your application - NGO Pulse Portal.
Enquiries: 027 718 1566.
Interviews will be held in Springbok from 2-4 May 2012.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
CSA reserves the right not to fill this contract.
For more about Conservation South Africa, refer to www.conservation.org.
For other vacancies in the NGO sector, refer to www.ngopulse.org/vacancies.