University of the Western Cape - Community Law Centre (CLC)
The Community Law Centre (CLC) was established in 1990 to realise the democratic values and human rights enshrined in South Africa’s Constitution and promote good governance, socio-economic development and the protection of the rights of vulnerable and disadvantaged groups. The CLC holds the NRF Research Chair in Multi-Level Governance for 2013.
The Parliamentary Programme of the Community Law Centre seeks to appoint a Learning & Development Facilitator, based in Western Cape.
The person will have a minimum of two years experience working to promote human rights and social justice to work on our projects to monitor the performance of the legislatures and build civil society engagement with legislatures on human rights issues.
This is a one-year contract position.
The successful candidate will work with the Parliamentary Programme Head to implement:
Monitoring and research
- Develop monitoring indicators and conduct and implement monitoring research in the National and selected provincial legislatures.
Capacity development and campaign support
- Build relationships, networks and working alliances with partners in social movements, community based organisations, NGOs, and academic institutions;
- Establish, coordinate and support advocacy campaigns in partnership with alliances;
- Ensure campaign goals and activities are met;
- Maintain effective communications with broad networks and campaign alliances;
- Build relationships with members of the National and selected provincial legislatures and liaise with these on selected campaign issues.
- Degree in law, social sciences or any appropriate field;
- Previous experience in and an understanding of working towards the realisation of women’s rights, children’s rights, or in promoting effective institutions of democracy;
- Conducting research and experience in advocacy would be advantageous;
- Understanding the environment, platforms and opportunities for advocacy in South Africa;
- Ability to develop, implement and monitor campaign activities;
- Strong verbal and written communication skills, ability to communicate complex messages to different audiences; ability to write popular advocacy materials; ability to write research and policy briefs;
- Ability to build networks and relationships. Linked to a strong capacity to work with alliances and to maintain positive working relationships with a range of civil society and legislative stakeholders;
- Demonstrable understanding of positive alliance building values and practice, with particular awareness of addressing inequalities within civil society organisations within campaign alliances;
- Facilitate Workshops and meetings for programme development and facilitation;
- Demonstrable computer literacy in Microsoft Word, Excel and Power Point as well as in email and social media platforms;
- Commitment to on-going personal development, skills and knowledge building on relevant issues;
- Responsibility and positive work ethic for meeting agreed performance targets and project outputs.
To apply, submit a CV (kindly attach copies of your qualifications) and covering letter, motivating your interest, including two examples of your written work to demonstrate your ability to write for a wide popular audience and for a policy development/implementation audience to email@example.com. Include in your application the names, full postal/e-mail addresses and telephone/fax numbers of three contactable referees.
Please quote the source of this advertisement in your application - NGO Pulse Portal.
Enquiries: Tel: 021 959 3700.
In line with the University’s commitment to diversifying its workforce, applications from designated groups will be given priority consideration. The University reserves the right not to make an appointment, make an appointment at a lower level and seek additional candidates. We will communicate with short-listed candidates only.
For more about the University of the Western Cape, refer to www.uwc.ac.za.
For other vacancies in the NGO sector, refer to www.ngopulse.org/vacancies.
Want to reach the widest spectrum of NGO and development stakeholders in South Africa as part of your communication and outreach objectives? Learn more about how the NGO Pulse Premium Advertising Service can support your communication requirements. Visit http://goo.gl/MUCvL for more information.