• Lead Facilitators (Free State, KwaZulu-Natal, Eastern Cape and Gauteng)
• Academy Admin and Logistics Support (Free State and KwaZulu-Natal
Columba Leadership’s aim is to activate the potential of young people to enhance their own life outcomes as well as contribute to positive social change in their schools and communities. It does this by offering a values-based leadership academy to groups (Principal, 2 educators and 12 Grade 10 learners) at schools situated in disadvantaged communities around South Africa.
The Columba programme involves various pre-residential engagements to build the relationship with the partnering school, recruit participants and orient those selected for the residential component as well as brief parents. The residential academy is a week long process which takes place in beautiful natural environments (normally game lodges). We aim to elicit inherent potential rather than train as our modus operandi.
Columba Leadership seeks to employ a Provincial Coordinator for the Free State, Four Lead Facilitators (Free State, KwaZulu-Natal, Eastern Cape and Gauteng) and two Academy Admin and Logistics Support (Free State and KwaZulu-Natal) and Mpumalanga.
Columba staff need to be comfortable being away from home for up to two weeks a month, comfortable in natural environments, work well as part of a team, and need to be facilitators rather than trainers by orientation. We are a values-based but not a faith-based organisation. Staff may well be required to offer their services in provinces other than their home provinces and should therefore also be comfortable travelling nationally if required to do so.
The Provincial Coordinator (Free State) is responsible for the planning, logistics and facilitation of the residential academies as well as post academy support. Other responsibilities include local office set up, implementation of organisational systems and implementation of the local M&E plan. Networking with local stakeholders is also a key role.
Candidates for the Coordinator post need the following:
- Experience in administration and supervision of staff;
- Exposure to youth and or community development;
- Preferably a degree in psychology, social work, youth or community development;
- Systematic and organised;
- Excellent attention to detail;
- Good interpersonal skills;
- Excellent report writing skills essential;
- Able to work independently and in a team in a dynamic environment;
- Drivers licence;
- Willingness to travel provincially;
- Preference will be given to candidates who are based in the Free State and fluent in seSotho.
Lead facilitators (Free State, KwaZulu-Natal, Eastern Cape and Gauteng) report to the Regional Coordinator and are responsible for the Pre-Residential Engagement Process including orientation for participants and parents, whole grade presentation where required and engagement of existing Columba graduates at school (when running repeat academies) where required.
Other responsibilities include being the Lead faculty for at least 2 academies per month including the set up and leading the pre-residential faculty planning and preparation meeting, leading the adaptation of the programme to suit venue, season etc., residential faculty management and support at the residential, venue management liaison and participation in post-residential debriefing.
Candidates for the Lead Facilitator posts need the following:
- At least 3 years of experience in youth facilitation;
- Excellent interpersonal skills;
- Ideally academic background in youth work, psychology, social work or community development;
- Passion for youth work;
- Ability to lead faculty team and assume overall responsibility for residential academies;
Academy Admin and Logistics Support (Free State, KwaZulu-Natal)
Reporting to the Provincial Coordinator / Manager, the Academy Admin and Logistics Support is responsible for coordination and logistics of Residential Academies, including organising venue, academy supplies, catering requirements and all transport and accommodation arrangements. This role also takes responsibility for logistics communication with facilitators and the school and serves as part of a 3-person residential facilitation team in role of admin (resources, admin, and one-on-one engagement with participants outside of academy sessions).
Candidates for the Academy Admin and Logistics Support posts need the following:
- Interest, passion and preferably experience in youth development and youth facilitation;
- Good at admin, systematic and able to relate well with youth;
- Computer literacy and the ability to create slide shows and presentations.
If you are interested in any of these exciting positions, you are invited to view the full job descriptions on the Vacancies page at www.actionappointments.co.za
If you wish to apply, please send an updated CV and a motivation letter clearly stating why you believe that your skills and experience make you a suitable candidate to email@example.com by Friday, 13 December 2013.
Important: Please also download and complete the Action Appointments biosummary form which can be found at the top of the Vacancies page at www.actionappointments.co.za and send it along with your CV and motivation letter - all in Word format please.