Clinton Health Access Initiative
The Clinton Health Access Initiative (CHAI) is a global nonprofit health organisation that strengthens integrated health systems in the developing world and expands access to care and treatment for HIV/AIDS, malaria and tuberculosis.
The Clinton Health Access Initiative (CHAI) works to lower the price of treatment for HIV/AIDS, TB and malaria by working with pharmaceutical companies and other suppliers to reduce the costs of medicines and laboratory tests, and also partners with national governments to strengthen the systems required to deliver treatment. In South Africa, CHAI is supporting the National Department of Health (NDOH) and the South African National AIDS Council (SANAC) in its implementation of the National Strategic Plan for HIV, TB and STI (2012-2016) strategic objectives.
CHAI seeks to appoint an energetic, self-driven and business oriented individual as Director of Operations, based in South Africa.
This person will be responsible for the managing business operations activities in HR, finance, IT, logistics and administration. The person will ensure that strategic objectives are well executed by different units and execute the responsibilities of CHAI leadership according to lawful and ethical standards.
- Direct the overall Operations function, including managing and collaborating with staff with a ‘hands-on’ management style;
- Demonstrate the ability to build strong strategic and long-term relationships both with internal and external stakeholders. Collaborate closely with people in remote locations throughout South Africa and CHAI’s global staff to ensure effective results;
- Display excellent judgment, planning, decision making and time management skills in a fast paced and dynamic environment;
- Coordinate activities, resources and projects (including performance management) in a high pressure environment;
- Utilise knowledge of business and management principles and demonstrate strong analytical and commercial skills on a day to day basis;
General administrative and operational responsibilities
- Ensure all operational equipment is affectively maintained and provide a optimum level of logistical support;
- Orient new staff and facilitate the new staff training programme;
- Maintain fixed assets register;
- Address staff safety and security matters.
- Ensure deliverables are aligned with agreed budgets, timelines and procedures;
- Provide direction to all programme staff to ensure they are adhering to and achieving the specified budgets;
- Risk management: minimise risk to the business through establishing effective operational governance and controls;
- Budgeting and Reporting: monitor financial and tangible resources to ensure implementation and maintenance of appropriate financial systems are in compliance with local and global reporting requirements.
Human Resource Management
- Management of staff members in all support departments;
- Supporting CHAI management in their HR practices and facilitating conflict resolution where applicable;
- Ensuring full compliance with the labour laws of South Africa.
- Minimum of five years operations experience;
- Minimum of three years experience at a senior managerial level, specifically people management of large teams;
- Experience in developing and implementing departmental and organisational policies and procedures;
- Significant experience in annual planning, budgeting, reporting and risk management;
- Strong credentials, competence in, and knowledge of Generally Accepted Accounting Practices (GAAP) and International Financial Reporting Standards (IFRS);
- Excellent leadership skills that demonstrate the ability to lead a dynamic, skilled and diverse operations team to deliver customer excellence;
- Proven experience in demonstrating resilience, tenacity and maintaining high levels of drive and initiative in a pressurised environment;
- Consistent and effective communication (verbal and written), presentation and inter-personal skills;
- Superior business acumen, analytical skills and the ability to interpret various internal and external factors/risks that may impact execution;
- Embody a strong set of personal values motivates them to serve others, and adopt CHAI’s mission to save lives as the primary guide for all decisions.
Apply online, click here.
For more about the Clinton Health Access Initiative, refer to www.clintonhealthaccess.org.
For other vacancies in the NGO sector, refer to www.ngopulse.org/vacancies.
Follow and support the 2012 SANGONeT "No Pain No Gain" fundraising and awareness-raising campaign. Refer to www.ngopulse.org/npng for more information.