CIVICUS: World Alliance for Citizen Participation
CIVICUS: World Alliance for Citizen Participation is one of the leading and most diverse international civil society networks, with members and partners in more than 100 countries and a staff of 35 people from over 20 countries. CIVICUS implements a range of programmatic activities focusing on strengthening civil society and its role in governance and development worldwide. It also serves as a convener of global civil society leaders through its annual World Assembly.
CIVICUS seeks to appoint a Senior Communication Officer, based in Johannesburg.
The Senior Communication Officer will carry out a variety of communication activities and provide advice and support to a range of projects. CIVIVUS works as a dynamic and exciting and to join our team you need to be brilliant at what you do, passionate, results-orientated and have an active interest in civil society and citizen action.
Start date: as soon as possible.
Duration: Initially a 2 year contract will be offered.
Job grade: Paterson - C Upper
- Provide communication advice and support for CIVICUS projects, and participate as a full member in project teams;
- Develop and implement communication and media strategies for projects, campaigns and events;
- Write and edit copy for communication products, including media statements, op-eds, newsletters, reports, mailers, and other products for a variety of audiences;
- Contribute to media monitoring, analyse media coverage and identify media opportunities;
- Coordinate production of communication products including newsletters, brochures, reports and mailers;
- Generate social media output and guide staff and partners on the use of social media.
- Write and edit online copy and manage webpages through a content management system (CMS);
- Build and maintain effective relationships with stakeholders and work to amplify the voices of civil society based on stakeholder needs;
- Develop and use innovative tools and promotional material for effective knowledge sharing, lobbying, campaigning, networking and resource mobilisation;
- Update branding guidelines and processes and promote CIVICUS’ brand;
- Assist with event management;
- Assist with selecting and managing suppliers;
- Assist with other communication unit tasks as may arise.
- Bachelor’s degree or Diploma with major subjects in either Communication, Public Relations, Journalism, Media, a related field or related work experience;
- Minimum of five years experience across a range of communication functions (e.g. writing, editing, media management, strategic communication).;
- Job related knowledge includes public relations and media, branding and marketing, social / digital media principles, publishing (print and electronic), production, and impact monitoring, campaign conceptualisation and implementation, development and implementation of communication strategies;
- Knowledge and understanding of civil society and the non profit or development sector;
- Job related skills includes excellent English writing, editing and proofreading, strategy / planning, social media and online communication, attention to detail, time management, presentation skills, marketing skills, and MS office tools;
- French and/or Spanish language skills would be desirable.
Salary: Salary offered ranges between USD$36 373 - USD$41 418 per annum depending on the level of relevant skills and experience.
To apply, submit a CV, motivational letter and contact details of three current referees to email@example.com. Confirm that you agree to the conducting of reference and background checks. CIVICUS holds reference reports in the strictest of confidence.
Please quote the source of this advertisement in your application - NGO Pulse Portal.
Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted.
For more about CIVICUS: World Alliance for Citizen Participation, refer to www.civicus.org.
For other vacancies in the NGO sector, refer to www.ngopulse.org/vacancies.
Follow news, information and updates from SANGONeT and NGO Pulse on Twitter at http://twitter.com/SANGONeT.