CIVICUS: World Alliance for Citizen Participation
CIVICUS: World Alliance for Citizen Participation (headquartered in Johannesburg, South Africa) is a global civil society network dedicated to strengthening civil society and citizen participation throughout the world, especially in areas where participatory democracy and citizens’ freedom of association are threatened. The aim of CIVICUS’ Legitimacy, Transparency and Accountability project is to improve public trust and the credibility of civil society organisations (CSOs) and their activities through the enhancement of their accountability systems and structures.
CIVICUS seeks to recruit a Research Consultant for the Legitimacy, Transparency and Accountability (LTA) Project, based in Johannesburg.
Working closely with the LTA coordinator and other members of the LTA team, the Research Consultant will undertake the following tasks:
- Produce a research report giving reference to real examples that will form the backbone of the Guide and based on the above-mentioned principles;
- Use material that will be provided by the LTA coordinator as part of the research documents;
- Communicate with stakeholders of the LTA project to gather their perspectives on self-regulation initiatives;
- Liaise with the LTA coordinator on the progress of the research;
- Develop a basic M&E framework for self-regulation initiatives.
- Detailed research report on developing self-Regulation initiatives covering the definition, importance, formulation, implementation, reporting and monitoring and evaluation.
- Development of basic monitoring and evaluation tools for self-regulation initiatives;
- A list of references and organisations contacted;
- A diagrammatic presentation of the step by step self-regulation development process;
- A list of important acronyms and concepts for self-regulation initiatives.
The consultant will report to the LTA coordinator based in Johannesburg. While the consultant will be expected to work closely with and interact with LTA partners, beneficiaries and other stakeholders, the overall management will be provided by CIVICUS as the lead organisation. As such, the LTA coordinator will provide day to day supervision and support to the consultants.
- Postgraduate degree in social science, development studies or equivalent;
- Extensive experience in civil society;
- Experience in research, monitoring and evaluation;
- Extensive knowledge on governance, accountability, transparency and legitimacy issues in civil society;
- Knowledge and experience of civil society operating environment in different locations;
- Excellent report writing skills;
- Experience of working with local and international NGOs.
Remuneration: Professional fee: Applicants will be asked to submit a budget/financial proposal not to exceed US$4 000. The consultants will be paid a professional fee for consultancy days agreed with by CIVICUS.
Applications with non-returnable copies of CVs, testimonials and sample of previous work should be submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org or drop to the CIVICUS Office in Johannesburg.
Please quote the source of this advertisement in your application - NGO Pulse Portal.
All applications should include the following:
- Cover letter (max 1 page)
- Technical proposal (max 4 pages)
- The technical proposal should include: a) Brief explanation about the Consultant(s) with particular emphasis on previous experience in this kind of work; b) Profile of the Consultant(s) to be involved in undertaking the research; c) Understanding of the TOR and the task to be accomplished and; d) Draft research outline including M& E for SRI.
- Financial Proposal (max 1 page)
To read the full Terms of Reference, click here.
For more about CIVICUS: World Alliance for Citizen Participation, refer to www.civicus.org.
For other vacancies in the NGO sector, refer to www.ngopulse.org/vacancies.
Follow and support the 2012 SANGONeT "No Pain No Gain" fundraising and awareness-raising campaign. Refer to www.ngopulse.org/npng for more information.