CIVICUS: World Alliance for Citizen Participation
CIVICUS: World Alliance for Citizen Participation is a leading and diverse international civil society network, with members and partners in more than 100 countries. CIVICUS seeks to strengthen citizen action and civil society throughout the world, especially in areas where participatory democracy and citizens’ freedom of association are threatened. CIVICUS has a vision of a global community of active, engaged citizens committed to the creation of a more just and equitable world.
CIVICUS seeks to appoint a Coordinator in the Secretary General’s office. This position reports directly to the Secretary General (SG) and will be responsible for providing strategic advice to the Secretary General in setting and meeting internal and external commitments, and for managing the day to day functioning of the SG’s office.
- Coordinating meetings of the CIVICUS Board, Executive Committee and Senior Management Team (SMT);
- Liaising between the SG office and departments/units;
- Managing correspondence and responding appropriately to invitations;
- Assisting with relevant research to prepare presentations and speeches;
- Managing the SG’s expenditure within the Organisational Coordination Office budget;
- Representing the SG at meetings and conferences as required;
- Advising the Secretary General on a diverse range of short-term and long-term issues, ensuring the Secretary General makes decisions with the best possible information available;
- Executing decisions of the Secretary General and Senior Management Team on a diverse range of short-term and long-term issues, often using persuasion and soft power rather than direct authority;
- Executive liaison with the CIVICUS Board of Directors, enabling the Board to exercise oversight and other governance duties effectively;
- Advising the SG on external engagements (short-term engagements such as meetings and speeches, as well as long-term strategic interventions and partnerships by CIVICUS).
- Undergraduate degree in development, social sciences, international relations, or a related field;
- Minimum of three years experience working in civil society, development, international relations, or politics;
- Knowledge of Microsoft office products (MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Project and Sharepoint);
- Solid and broad knowledge of international political issues and of issues facing civil society;
- Strong verbal and written communication skills;
- Attention to detail;
- Relationship building skills;
- Presentation skills;
- Time management;
- Intercultural and interpersonal skills;
- Ability to work under pressure and to balance multiple competing priorities;
- High levels of professionalism, diplomacy, discretion and integrity;
- Experience or knowledge of working in an international environment;
- Fluency in an additional language (ideally French, Spanish, Russian, Arabic or Chinese).
Location: Johannesburg, South Africa.
Start date: 1 February 2013.
Job grade: Paterson, C Upper.
Salary: Market related salary will be offered.
Duration: Initially a two year contract will be offered.
o apply, submit a CV with contact details of three current referees and a motivation letter including a statement verifying that the details within the CV are true and correct, and that the candidate agrees to the conducting of reference and background checks, to email@example.com. CIVICUS holds reference reports in strict confidence.
Please quote the source of this advertisement in your application - NGO Pulse Portal.
Only short listed applicants will be contacted.
For more about CIVICUS: World Alliance for Citizen Participation, refer to www.civicus.org.
For other vacancies in the NGO sector, refer to www.ngopulse.org/vacancies.
Follow news, information and updates from SANGONeT and NGO Pulse on Twitter at http://twitter.com/SANGONeT.