Shanduka Black Umbrellas
Shanduka Black Umbrellas (SBU) is a non-profit mixed use enterprise development incubation service provider which seeks to deliver real and meaningful transformation through empowered business growth. Shanduka Black Umbrellas affords collaboration opportunities between 100% black-owned businesses, government, the private sector and civil society by providing a critical foundation for sustainable futures. The organisation currently operates incubators in Johannesburg, Pretoria, Cape Town and Durban.
SBU has been growing steadily and is now seeking to dramatically accelerate growth. The board and CEO are looking for a mission-focused, seasoned, strategic, and process-minded leader with experience in scaling an organization, leading an executive management team, and developing a performance culture among a group of diverse, talented individuals.
The COO must be a leader who is able to help others at SBU deliver measurable, cost-effective results that make the vision a reality. Importantly, the successful COO will have the skills, sensitivity, and personal confidence to tap into the power that each member of the team brings to this mission. While it is essential that the COO bring efficient and effective systems to increase the productivity of the organization, is it also critical that the team retain the spark that drives the SBU concept.
The COO will primarily be responsible for ensuring that the organisation's systems and operational infrastructure can support outstanding execution of current programs as well as, ensuring the organisation's strategic operational objectives are met. An individual in this position should possess strong management skills, an understanding of what it takes to deliver on required objectives and the ability to define/implement the project management systems and processes that are necessary to sustain continued growth.
The position will be based in Johannesburg and report to the CEO. The role of COO is a national position and requires travel within South Africa on a frequent basis.
Key Responsibilities and accountabilities
- Strategy formulation & Implementation
- Management of the overall operations function including information technology, finance and Infrastructure
- People management
- Programme delivery
Qualifications and Experience
- Demonstrate excellence & expertise in the fields of financial management, administration and operations, IT and corporate affairs.
- Demonstrate an understanding of the environment of non profit organisations, small business development and Black Economic Empowerment.
- Demonstrate experience in the management of a team at a professional level.
- Effective operational experience in running a business/ business unit/s.
- The minimum required qualification for this position is a relevant tertiary qualification. A relevant postgraduate qualification would be highly advantageous.
- Minimum of 10 years operations experience. 5 years of which must be specifically people management. Of the 10 years experience, at least 3 years must have been spent in a senior management role.
Skills and Knowledge
- Sound commercial skills
- Good project and time management skills
- Knowledge of business and management principles
- Sound knowledge of finance, technology and administration
- Strong analytical skills
- Disciplined completer
- Ability to work in a pressurised environment
- Management and Leadership knowledge, skills and experience
- Organisational Skills
- Coordinating activities and resources (including performance management)
- The ability to work collaboratively
- A ‘hands-on’ management style
- A penchant for being proactive
To apply, please submit a CV and motivation letter, outlining how you meet the above qualification, experience and skills requirements to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please ensure the CV submitted contains contact details for at least three references who can confirm work experience and abilities.
Closing date for applications is 7 June 2012. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
For more information on SBU, refer to www.shandukablackumbrellas.org.