CARE South africa
CARE is one of the world’s leading humanitarian organisations. Its current focus is on women and girls. It manages and supports programmes related to HIV/AIDS and healthcare, capacity building of community-based organisations and local NGOs and efforts to improve local governance.
CARE South Africa - Lesotho is looking for motivated self-starters to fill the following positions in its Integrated HIV/AIDS Prevention and Care Project (IHAPC), located in South Africa:
Finance and Compliance Officers (2 posts - 1 in Nelspruit, Mpumalanga and 1 in Tzaneen, Limpopo)
Purpose of the position
The Finance and Compliance Officer will have responsibilities for ensuring donor grant reporting and compliance regulations are met by sub-grantees.
Specifically, the CARE IHAPC Finance and Compliance Officer is responsible for building the systems and skills for sound financial management which enables compliance with donor rules and regulations. S/he interprets donor and CARE regulations for CARE Provincial Offices and field/programme staff and assists in conducting training on financial compliance, in coordination with CARE’s Sub-Grants Officer, for sub grantees. S/he is responsible for ensuring accurate and allowable monthly liquidations of advances. S/he helps develop and implement strategies to prevent compliance-related liabilities among sub grantees.
Key roles and responsibilities:
Role 1: Sub-Grant Management & Compliance
- Serve as the principal point of contact on sub-grants management and compliance issues at provincial level;
- Work with the Programme Officer and Provincial Manager in developing and coordinating training for sub-grantees;
- Attend and facilitate as needed, meetings/trainings related to grant reporting and compliance organised by CARE,
- Disseminate strategies and training/learning materials produced by CARE;
- Improve sub-grantees’ staff capacity to manage their grants, including overall financial management and compliance with donor regulations through on-site, ongoing accompaniment and mentoring;
- Coordinate with the IHAPC Team to ensure dissemination of lessons learned;
Help develop and deliver training curricula on financial management and compliance issues as required.
Role 2: Financial Oversight/Support
- Provide direct technical support in all aspects of financial management (including policy development) to IHAPC sub-recipients;
- Monitor all sub-agreements assigned and ensure compliance with Compliance Manuals and USG financial rules and regulations;
- Regularly monitor and assess each sub grantee’s ability to accurately record and report financial transactions for the CARE/IHAPC grant. Ensure the integrity of sub grantees’ financial reporting and the effective control of financial and material assets;
Help develop and deliver training curricula on financial issues as required.
Role 3: Internal Control Assessments and Site Visits
- Participate in CARE control and monitoring assessments as required;
- Prepare site visit reports on internal controls, procurement, human resource management, asset management, and budget utilisation of partners. Reports will contain site findings, explanation of findings, criteria and recommendation as well as the follow-up requirements;
- Give opinion on adequacy of sub-grantees’ internal controls, compliance with applicable laws and regulations.
Education and training experience:
- An accounting qualification or equivalent;
- A minimum of 2 years experience in financial management;
- A minimum of 2 years experience in sub-grants and contracts management;
- Relevant experience in building capacity of local organisations and their staff;
- Knowledge and experience of US government rules and regulations;
- Good communication skills;
- Computer literacy (Microsoft Word, Excel, Access and SPSS an advantage);
- A valid driver’s licence;
Key Working Relationships:
- Programme Officer;
- Provincial Manager;
- Subs Grants Officer;
- Partner organisations, training consultants and donor representatives.
Interested applicants should forward a one-page letter of motivation indicating for which location s/he would like to be considered, and a detailed CV to: FCOIHAPCApplicant@za.care.org.
Closing date for applications: Friday, 8 February 2013
For more about CARE, refer to www.care.org.