Canadian High Commission (Development)
The Canadian High Commission (Development) seeks to appoint a Junior Development Officer, based in Pretoria.
This position is open to qualified applicants who are South African citizens or legally and operationally in a position to work for the Canadian High Commission in South Africa. Excellent English (spoken and written) is required. The position is with the Department of Foreign Affairs, Trade and Development (DFATD), based in the development cooperation section (formerly the Canadian International Development Agency). The position is based in Pretoria, with limited travel within South Africa and the region.
- Under the direction of, and reporting to, the Counsellor (Development), and in support of the entire Development Section, the incumbent provides a wide range of project and programme level services in support of Canadian development assistance programmes in South Africa, Lesotho, Namibia and Madagascar. These programmes include DFATD bilateral development cooperation initiatives, primarily in South Africa, as well as the Pan-Africa Programme, Multilateral programming, and programmes of the Partnerships with Canadians Branch (PWCB);
- Provide procedural guidance to South and Southern African organisations / institutions and implementation partners, Local Fund Managers and other Sections of the Mission on the full range of DFATD / Development programmes and regulations;
- Provide support to officers within the Development Section on programme administration, disbursements, contracting and event planning; and Initiating contacts with wide sectors of the South and Southern African population (private, public and NGO sectors) on questions and requests for Canadian support.
- Must be a South African citizen or legally and operationally in a position to work for the Canadian High Commission in South Africa;
- Must hold a University degree in Development, Management / Commerce, or a related field. Higher weighting will be granted to those holding an advanced degree (e.g. Master’s);
- Must have at least two years of relevant working experience in one of the following fields: project or programme management, grants administration, accounting and financial management, development cooperation or community development. Preference will be granted to those with experience in more than one of these areas. Experience is also required in the field of international development, and in working with a range of South African stakeholders, preferably including government officials, civil society organisations, implementation partners and project beneficiaries. Also, experience working with a national or international development organisation is preferred;
- Must be fluent in written and spoken English, and have demonstrated skills in writing, administration, accounting and contracting; Knowledge of French will be an asset;
- Must obtain South African Police Clearance.
Salary: ZAR24 950.17 per month plus benefits (LE-07, Step1).
To apply, submit a two-page CV and motivational letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please note that criteria and qualifications are unofficial until approved.
Clearly specify the title of the position and your name in the subject line of the e-mail.
Please quote the source of this advertisement in your application - NGO Pulse Portal.
Please note that only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
For more about Canadian High Commission (Development), refer to www.canadainternational.gc.ac.