Call for Proposals: Terms of Reference for a Consultancy to Develop a TEVET Programme of Support for VSO
Wednesday, December 18, 2013 - 12:20
Please note: this opportunity closing date has passed and may not be available any more.
Opportunity closing date:Friday, January 17, 2014
Opportunity type:Call for proposals
VSO is the world’s leading independent international development organisation that works through volunteers to fight poverty in developing countries. Our high-impact approach involves bringing people together to share skills, build capabilities, promote international understanding and action, and change lives. At any given time, there is an average of 1 520 volunteers overseas, 30 percent of whom are from the Global South.
VSO Zambia is calling for proposals for a consultancy to develop a TEVET programme of support for VSO in Zambia.
Terms of Reference (ToR)
For consultancy to develop a TEVET programme of support for VSO in Zambia
In line with the aspirations of Zambia’s Sixth National Development Plan (SNDP), VSO Zambia recognises that youth development has great potential to contribute effectively to poverty reduction and economic growth through skills development. The main thrust of the proposed programme is to increase the capacity of vocational skills training to produce quality skilled people.
There is a wide range of public, private and faith based institutions in Zambia offering vocational skills training to youth in Zambia. However their capacity to deliver quality service to their constituency is hampered by a range of internal and external factors, including financial support, management capacity of the training institutions and the capacity of the governing body (TEVETA). VSO Zambia can see an opportunity to support the Zambia Government and other key stakeholders in building the capacity of vocational skills training institutions in Zambia. The VSO Zambia office does not have adequate expertise within the team to comprehensively assess the needs and opportunities which VSO could develop with these key stakeholders. Consequently, VSO Zambia is requesting for a consultant to design a comprehensive programme of support to TEVET institutions in Zambia as per the criteria below.
Objectives of the Consultancy
To design a comprehensive programme of support that VSO could provide to TEVET institutions in Zambia.
Key areas of work
- Develop a concise inception report, detailing the baseline design, methodology, indicators, tools, work plan schedule and budget to carry out the assignment. This will be developed and finalized in consultation with the VSO Zambia’s Head of Programmes.
Carry out a comprehensive review of Gap Assessments completed, identifying the support needs of vocational skills training institutions (including TEVETA, the Education Ministry, the vocational training institutions and the lecturer training college).
- Carry out a desk top review of recent needs assessments completed by DFID, African Development Bank, VSO and others.
- Consult with key stakeholders, including the Ministry of Education, TEVETA, donor community and private sector representatives engaged in TEVET.
- Visit the Luanshwa Training college, which trains lecturers for the TEVET sector, as well as a sample number of VST colleges.
- Develop a detailed and well articulated concept paper and Logical Framework identifying appropriate opportunities where VSO could support the Government and other key stakeholders in capacity building Vocational Skills Training Institutions.
- Develop a donor mapping document for funding.
The consultancy will take place for an agreed total number of days between 20 January to 14 March 2014 including preparation, write-up time and travel as needed. The concept paper will not be considered completed until the VSO Country Director, Southern Africa Regional Director and Head of Funding-Africa have given written approval that the concept paper accurately reflect VSO inputs and are of a quality that could be presented to external donor audiences.
The consultant will be reporting to the VSO Zambia Head of Programmes and liaise with the VSO Country Director.
VSO is seeking qualified offers for the above mentioned consulting services. You are kindly invited to submit your technical and financial offer for the requested services. The proposal should include, but not necessarily be limited to, the following information;
- Description of the Firm / Individual Qualifications
- Understanding of the Requirements for Services, including Assumptions
- Proposed Approach, Methodology, Timing and Outputs - detailed description of the manner in which you/your firm would respond to the ToR. You should include the number of person-days that you consider necessary to carry out all work required.
- Proposed Project Team Members and Structure (if needed)
- Price Component
Incomplete applications will not be considered. Please make sure you provide all requested materials
For more about VSO International, refer to www.vsointernational.org.
To view other opportunities, refer to www.ngopulse.org/group/home-page/other-opportunities.