Call for Proposals: Pre-Doctoral PhD Proposal Development Programme in Nursing Science
In response to the dire shortage of PhDs in nursing, SANTRUST is offering the Ph D Proposal Development Programme for Nursing Science. This pilot project is funded both by Irish Aid through the Embassy of Ireland to South Africa and the National Research Foundation. The National Research Foundation (NRF) has identified nursing is a ‘vulnerable science’ in South Africa.
SANTRUST is a registered educational trust in the Republic of South Africa. It manages a host of research and professional development programmes. Its flagship entity, the South Africa-Netherlands Research Programme on Alternatives in Development (SANPAD), has been active on the higher education landscape since 1997. SANPAD arose from a bilateral agreement between the governments of The Netherlands and South Africa. More recently, the research and leadership development programmes have been extended to respond more directly to the transformation, leadership and policy imperatives in higher education. Partnerships have also extended into the wider African continent, more especially Ethiopia, Tanzania, Mozambique and Zambia.
The PhD Programme consists of approximately seven weeks of contact learning in research methodologies over six modules, offered at a doctoral level. The learning takes place in workshop/conference mode.
Applications are accordingly invited from suitably qualified individuals who meet the following criteria:
- Holder of a recognised Master’s degree • Be committed to furthering scholarship, teaching or learning in nursing;
- Be committed to completing their degrees within the shortest possible period;
- Undertake to attend all 6 modules as per the dates that will be pre-set by SANTRUST and communicated upon successful selection onto the programme;
- Applicants must be South Africa citizens or Permanent Residents to South Africa;
- There is no age limit criteria, but we suggest those who are under the age of 45 apply;
- Aimed at individuals who are in the early stages of their research careers;
- Their proposals must relate to Nursing Science Research;
- The Pre-doctoral Proposal Development Programme training will take place in South Africa.
This initiative is called ‘The PhD Proposal Development Programme’ and is facilitated by SANTRUST, an international legal entity with head office in South Africa. SANTRUST has entered into partnership with Irish Aid and the National Research Foundation to support our joint vision towards the realisation of higher levels of academic qualification’s of the nursing sciences.
The Programme consists of approximately seven weeks of contact learning (some two weeks in succession) in research methodologies over 6 modules, offered at a doctoral level. The learning takes place in workshop/conference mode.
Important criteria considered for candidates to be admitted to The PhD Proposal Development Programme for Pre-doctoral Doctoral Candidates are as follows:
- Have completed a Masters degree;
- Be registered or about to register for a PhD; and
- Be committed to furthering scholarship and research in Nursing scholarship and investing in the development of their country;
- Will aim to complete in the three to five-year period;
- English is the medium of instruction;
- Be able to attend all six modules in 2012-2013;
- Is undertaking studies in the vulnerable Science of Nursing;
- Employment equity and development needs of the country.
Candidates wishing to apply under this call must:
- Complete the Application form (below);
- Provide an Academic Transcript of your Masters;
- Provide a CV in format of Annex 1;
- Provide a certified copy of ID document (Scanned);
- Provide a passport photograph (Jpeg);
- Provide the nomination (Annex 2) by a Senior Academic in your university-this should be put on letter head and signed;
- Provide a Research Outline (Annex 3);
- Consider and accept the Selection Process (Annex 4).
Applications to include:
- Application Form –all Annexes;
- CV as per the format prescribed in Application Form;
- Additionally, a letter of support from the Management of the University/Research Council to indicate support of the Candidates’ involvement including a commitment to release Candidates to attend all modules;
- There is no requirement to submit any additional documentation sent electronically to firstname.lastname@example.org, clearly marked ‘Application for Nursing Science Call for Applicants’” or Couriered by 16 April 2012 at 16:00 to Pierian SA, Glass House Office Park, Building Number 3, 309 Umhlanga Rocks Drive, La Lucia Ridge, 4319 for attention of Ms Valerie Buzuzi.
For more about SANTRUST, refer to www.santrust.org.za.
To view other opportunities, refer to www.ngopulse.org/group/home-page/other-opportunities.