Call for Porposals: Website Design
Reducing Maternal and Child Mortality through Strengthening Primary Health Care (RMCH) Programme
Terms of Reference for the development of a programme website
Reducing Maternal and Child Mortality through Strengthening Primary Health Care
The RMCH Project is a United Kingdom Department for International Development (DFID) funded partnership with Futures Group as the prime, Health Systems Trust (HST) as the local lead, with Save the Children UK (SCUK) and Social Development Direct (SDD). The project aims to reduce the unacceptably high rates of maternal and child mortality in South Africa. This is to be done through raising the quality and availability of Reproductive, Maternal and Child Health (RMCH) services.
Established in 1971, Futures Group is a services and consulting firm that develops and delivers innovative, locally relevant, evidence-based solutions to improve the health and wellbeing of people around the world. We assist governmental and non-governmental agencies, foundations, and the private sector by designing, implementing and evaluating programmes in RMCH, HIV/AIDS and other infectious diseases, population and family planning and gender. Futures Group has deep expertise in health policy analysis, development and implementation; advocacy; research and strategic information; health markets and private sector engagement; modeling and economic analysis; patient management and monitoring/HMIS; strategic consulting; and programme management.
Futures Group and its South African partners will manage DFID's support and assist the Government of South Africa (GOSA) in achieving the set target in reducing maternal and child mortality by 2015. The project proposition is premised on managing the programme based on the most up-to-date and contextual knowledge of RMCH and a deep and nuanced understanding of the South African environment. The project recognizes the need for effective change management to ensure that the Primary Health Care (PHC) re-engineering policy is translated into action that generates the needed impact.
The objective of this initiative is to develop a website that is informative, serves as a resource Centre, highlighting overall DFID RMCH programme and the Maternal, Neonate, Child and Women’s Health (MNCWH) strategy and activities in SA. The site should provide a platform for sharing and learning from documented good practices within SA. The homepage should be designed in such a way that it captures the attention of site visitors, encouraging them to discover more.
The target audience is the general public: MNCH stakeholders, National Department of Health (NDoH) officials, DFID, medical experts, medical practitioners, programme managers and partners, public health fraternity etc. These are people looking for:
- Possible solutions to mother and child health problems:
- Services to help in the gathering or analysing of data
- Tools for collecting, querying or displaying data.
The web administrator primary contact will be the Data, Demand and Information (DDIU) Advisor. All technical supportive information about the programme, tools, reports, and journals, as directed Team Leader and Deputy Team leaders: Operations and Technical will be provided by the DDIU.
The Service Provider will be assigned the following tasks:
- Design a Word press based CMS website taking into account the features listed below.
- Develop the website upon validation of the design.
Features of the Website
- The website will be hosted under the Futures website. The website will be hosted in South Africa to facilitate better service for local clients;
- The website content should be dynamic and the site design should allow information to be easily updated by administrative staff without specialised web development skills;
- A discussion forum should be integrated to the website;
- Limit access to content based on user authentication and roles;
- The site should be able to handle up to 200 user profiles.
The home page should feature a primary rotating image as well as smaller images and text highlighting services and tools as well as news updates from the field. The administrator must be able to replace or update the images and text. Please refer to the table below for further guidance:
|Home page||Rotating graphic with links to highlighted areas on the site; select list navigation|
|Second level pages||Single graphic with text|
|Third level pages||Text block with the ability to add graphics as needed|
|Search results page||Shows results of a text search. The site should be searchable from a text box within the main site, and similarly, the forum should be searchable from it’s pages|
|Contact form||A simple form that will accept input from the user and send an email to the project support e-mail address. Spam filtering techniques should be catered for (Captcha or other).|
|RMCH Community||This may use existing templates but with the RMCH logo. This area is for the RMCH user community. Information in this area includes; links to Slide Share, Source Forge, Software demo site, user information, training, RMCH tools, reports news/announcements. This could possibly be a blog format. To be discussed further.|
- Using Wordpress develop a user friendly, engaging and interactive site;
- The website to be developed shall take into account design elements of DFID, Futures Group and NDoH’s websites;
- Use project branding colours.
Logo should represent the following aspects of the Programme:
- Displaying Programme ownership by SAG / NDOH;
- Reference to Maternal and Child Health;
- Involvement of Civil Society;
- Reference to re-engineering PHC, School health and supporting National Health Insurance (NHI).
Logo Technical Specification:
- 3 color scheme, preferably a combination of Futures Group, SAG and DFID logo scheme color - use existing RMCH logo;
- Electronic version that could be adjusted in size without degrading quality;
- Suitable to be used on PowerPoint presentations, business cards and letterheads;
- All materials provided should be in an open format that can later be edited in-house.
Content will be supplied to the developers to put onto site.
English will be the only language available of the site. There are no plans for additional languages in the near future.
All content will be available to the public and no login is required for read-only access to the site and forum contents including the RMCH community. User login will be required for content managers, site administrator, forum moderators and discussion forum contribution.
All forum members will need to register with email address and full names and will need to be approved by a administrator before being allowed to contribute. the administrator will also periodically check for spam.
Branding and Site Color Palette
See section on art specification above
Content Fonts and Formatting
Content formatting should be a standard feature available to content contributors / editors including font size, bold, italics, underline, paragraph spacing, bullets and numbered lists. Contributors should be able to upload and insert media including video, maps and images. Contributors should be able to embed video from external sources including cloud storage or specialist video applications (Youtube, etc). HTML 5 must be used where appropriate to allow cross platform content (iPad/Android/Mac/PC).
Simple search engine optimisation is required.
Hosting and Support
Futures Group will be hosting the site. They will need to know the version of Word Press required and any instructions on configuration needed.
The website should be fully designed, developed installed and uploaded on the server within a period of 3 months, from the date the contract is awarded.
All draft pages of the web site must:
- Submit at least 3 samples of proposed designs;
- Give room for 3 reviews of the set.
Ownership & Intellectual Property
Deliverables must include applicable source code and objects developed by the contractor for this project. The site should have User and Technical documentation and upon receipt of payment, Futures Group shall acquire ownership of all assignment deliverables in their tangible form (both hard and soft copies) and the right to use, distribute, re-engeneer them as deemed fit (within the applicable laws governing third party software used in the development). The deliverables may not be published or used in any way without the express permission of Futures Group.
Updating & Maintenance
The Contract will include updating and maintenance of the website for a period of one year; working closely with the Data Demand and information use Advisor.
Role of Futures Group in the manual development process
Futures Group will provide:
- The logistics support and programme documents and be the link between the consultant and the project materials required to prepare the Manual
- Venues for discussion and mobilise the required persons for interviews. The partners will provide the necessary resources/facilities and required persons for interviews.
The consultant will be responsible for guiding the entire Manual writing process and all other specific responsibilities as stipulated in the TOR.
Main qualification of the consultant
The consultant is expected to hold the following qualifications in order to be eligible for this position:
- A recognised university degree or equivalent in information technology and or web design;
- Sound knowledge of website development, particularly in hosting a public site of this nature;
- At least 5 years of experience in the field of Wordpress CMS site development;
- Similar work in the last 3 years (to provide copies of reports);
- A demonstrated high level of professionalism and an ability to work independently and in high-pressure situations under tight deadlines;
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills;
- High proficiency in written and spoken English;
- Ability to translate technical terms to non-technical staff.
Response Proposal Specifications
Those interested in the consultancy must include in their application a detailed technical and financial proposal with the following components:
- Understanding and interpretation of the TOR;
- Methodology to be used in undertaking the assignment;
- Time and activity schedule.
- Consultant’s rate;
- Other costs, e.g. accommodation, travel and printing.
Organiational and Personnel Capacity Statement
- Relevant experience related to the assignment;
- Contacts of organisations previously worked for;
- Curriculum Vitae of key personnel.
Evaluation and Award of Consultancy
Futures Group will evaluate the proposals and award the assignment based on technical and financial understanding of the candidate. Futures Group reserves the right to accept or reject any proposal received without giving reasons and is not bound to accept the lowest, the highest or any bidder.
Proposals for providing the above described services are to be addressed to:
Administration & Logistics – DFID RMCH Project
310 Brookes Street, Menlo Park, 0081
Tel: (+27) 012 362 0584
Fax: (+27) 012 362 2044
For more about the Futures Group, refer to http://futuresgroup.com.
To view other opportunities, refer to www.ngopulse.org/group/home-page/other-opportunities.