Market Photo Workshop, Tierney Family Foundation
The Market Photo Workshop in partnership with the Tierney Family Foundation realise the importance of creating opportunities for photographers to cultivate the development of photographers and photography as a medium. The Tierney Fellowship creates an ideal space for a photographer to produce a new body of work.
The Market Photo Workshop in partnership with the Tierney Family Foundation invites applications for the Tierney Fellowship.
The Fellowship will provide the successful applicant with the financial support necessary to research and produce a body of photographic work, in consultation with a mentor, over the period of a year.
Successful applicants are assisted to overcome the challenges that a photographer faces at the beginning of his or her career through the Fellowship’s global community of seasoned experts, which function as a crucial support network. Seminars and critiques are held throughout the year to facilitate interaction between all current and past recipients, encouraging discussion of their photography, work experience and lives as artists.
Fellows remain an integral part of the Tierney Fellowship after the conclusion of their one-year grant period.
Fellowship Benefits and Outcome(s)
Subject to certain conditions, the fellowship entails:
- R30 000 to produce the body of work that the recipient proposes to do. The R30 000 covers costs related to research, travel, and other supplies;
- The fellowship grant can be extended to develop and produce an exhibition of the work and, possibly, a publication of the produced body of work. Terms and conditions apply.
- 2008 – Tracy Edser
- 2009 – Simangele Kalisa
- 2010 – Thabiso Sekgala
- 2011 – Mack Magagane
- The fellowship is open to all current students and alumni, who have studied since 2005, at the Market Photo Workshop;
- Individuals from financially and previously disadvantaged backgrounds;
- Women are particularly encouraged to apply;
- Applicants must be able to produce the work within the borders of South Africa;
- Applicants must not have produced a solo exhibition before;
- Applicants must be able to travel to Johannesburg for initial meetings;
- The fellowship will be awarded to applicants who are resident in Southern Africa.
Applicants must submit the following:
- A comprehensive CV, including details of most recent course completed at the Market Photo Workshop;
- A photographer’s statement.
- one page proposal with full details of why, what and how the project will be undertaken;
- A pdf file of 20 photographs of previous body/bodies of work (no more that 5MB).
Selection of a candidate
- A panel of judges appointed by the Market Photo Workshop, including panellists from The Tierney Family Foundation, will participate in the selection process;
- Shortlisted candidates have to be available for an interview soon thereafter;
- Judges need to be satisfied that the chosen project proposal has merit; that the candidate will be able to manage the project, and that he/ she is likely to derive lasting benefits from the mentorship. The Market Photo Workshop retains the right to request applicants to edit proposals.
Application deadline: 25 April 2012 at 12h00
A briefing session on further information about the fellowship and application requirements will be held on Wednesday 11 April at 13h00 at the Market Photo Workshop.
Enquiries: Bekie Ntini, Tel: 011 834 1444
For more about the Tierney Fellowship, refer to www.tierneyfellowship.org.
For more about the Market Photo Workshop, refer to www.marketphotoworkshop.co.za.
Only short listed candidates will be contacted.