Action Volunteers Africa
Action Volunteers Africa (AVA) is a nonprofit recruitment organisation (NPO) set up to foster a volunteering culture among young South Africans by placing school-leaving students from a wide range of schools into 6-12 month volunteer learnerships in a variety of South African non-governmental organisations (NGOs). AVA recruits will gain practical structured working experience, assisting both the organisations and the communities they serve and at the same time developing new skills and deepening their understanding of their fellow South Africans.
Are you an extraordinary young South African not sure what 2013 holds for you? If so read on: Action Volunteers Africa (AVA), piloting in February 2013, is an exciting nonprofit service learning initiative placing school leaving South Africans into volunteer action postings in reputable NGOs for six months to a year.
If you are selected as an AVA recruit for 2013, you will be a trailblazer - one of the first 10-20 young people to join the ranks of an organisation that we believe has the potential to assist thousands of young South Africans and make a lasting positive impact on civil society.
We understand that a commitment to a programme like AVA is not for everyone - taking a year or even six months out of formal education or employment is a big decision - one we don’t expect you to take lightly.
What we are looking for:
- Bright young people between the ages of 18-22;
- Ability to commit to at least six months of voluntary work (no stipend other than a small transport allowance);
- A desire to assist others in a focused and disciplined manner;
- An eagerness to explore and learn and participate wholeheartedly; and
- A willingness to take responsibility for improving your future prospects
What the programme involves:
- A 2-3 day residential orientation course; and
- 6-10 month action posting in a host NGO.
Full day Monthly Motivation Forums involving intensive feedback and reflection sessions and an exciting curriculum of workshops with guest facilitators covering a variety of topics such as:
- Service learning;
- Asset development and saving;
- Community motivation and becoming an initiator; and
- Emotional intelligence.
What you will gain:
- Valuable experiential learning through practice;
- Confidence, vision and the skills to make a real difference to communities;
- A chance to find your talents and even your passion;
- Priceless experience on your CV;
- Valuable connection into a diverse network of social innovators;
- A chance to build true social cohesion; and
- A deeper awareness of and insight into the real issues in our country.
Costs of the programme:
Since AVA has contracted our host NGOs to manage our recruits well we will be expecting them to put a considerable amount of effort into ensuring that your experience with them is meaningful. To do this they will be required to use extra human and other resources and AVA will pay them a monthly fee for each recruit that they host.
AVA is responsible for recruiting students and NGOs, running the orientation course and the monthly motivation forums as well as the ongoing monitoring and evaluation of the programme so we will also be incurring costs.
Recruits who are in a position to pay fees will be charged R2 000 per month, while those who are not will be sponsored either be AVA or by individual sponsors.
Besides a small working allowance for the recruits who need assistance to get to work and take a packed lunch, no monthly stipends will be paid by AVA or the host NGOs. This is a service learning programme and is just like an extension of school.
To apply, submit a completed application form www.avafrica.org.za/index.php/ava-pilot-programme-application-form to firstname.lastname@example.org.
For more about Action Volunteers Africa, refer to www.avafrica.org.za.
To view other opportunities, refer to www.ngopulse.org/group/home-page/other-opportunities.