Business and Human Rights Resource Centre: Anglophone Southern and Western Africa Researcher and Representative
Friday, June 1, 2012 - 15:07
Business & Human Rights Resource Centre
Please note: this opportunity closing date has passed and may not be available any more.
Opportunity closing date:Tuesday, July 3, 2012
The Resource Centre has an Eastern Africa Researcher based in Kenya; a Francophone Africa Researcher in Senegal; and eight other regional researchers across the world.
The Resource Centre seeks to appoint a an Anglophone Southern and Western Africa Researcher and Representative, based in South Africa (flexible - in the city where the successful candidate is located).
The person will be responsible to the Centre’s Director, Deputy Director and Research Director, working with them and other staff to further develop the organisation, its website, its company response process, and its outreach.
This is a three-day, 21 hours per week contract position.
- Online research and input of information onto the Resource Centre website;
- Invite companies to respond to civil society concerns about their conduct; allegations and company responses are posted on our website and in our Weekly Updates (sent to 14 000 opinion leaders worldwide);
- Represent the Resource Centre regionally, at meetings and conferences;
- Build contacts with, and seeking information from, a broad range of people working in African NGOs, companies, media, investment firms, universities, governments;
- Conduct regional research missions;
- Make a special effort to draw attention to under-reported issues & cases in the region;
- Participate in Skype meetings with all the Centre’s global staff, every two weeks.
- Excellent English language skills;
- Right to work in South Africa (current);
- Work or volunteer experience in a nonprofit organisation addressing human rights, labour rights, development, environment, or other social issues;
- Ability to represent the organisation in Anglophone Southern and Western Africa and build a broad range of contacts;
- Strong research and analytical skills to identify relevant materials for the website, categorise the information, and compose brief summaries;
- Willingness to do a significant amount of online input to help keep the website updated;
- Rigorous attention to detail, sound political judgment, and the ability to present information objectively and impartially are also required;
- Word processing skills and the ability to function under pressure and manage a heavy workload;
- Organisational, communication and interpersonal skills, and strong commitment to human rights, are essential;
- Willingness to work on your own initiative, prioritise with minimal supervision, and work independently as well as function as part of a team;
- Ability to self-servicing in terms of administrative tasks;
- As the Resource Centre does not have office premises in South Africa, the successful candidate will need to be willing and able to work from home and/or from a host institution (e.g. if a university or NGO is willing to provide office space).
For a full job description and application form, click here. The application form is required as Curriculum Vitae or Résumés will not be accepted.
To apply, submit a completed application form to Danielle McMullan at firstname.lastname@example.org with “Africa Researcher” in the subject line and Cc email@example.com.
Please quote the source of this advertisement in your application - NGO Pulse Portal.
For more about the Business and Human Rights Resource Centre, refer to www.business-humanrights.org.
For other vacancies in the NGO sector, refer to www.ngopulse.org/vacancies.
Follow and support the 2012 SANGONeT "No Pain No Gain" fundraising and awareness-raising campaign. Refer to www.ngopulse.org/npng for more information.