The Black Sash
The Black Sash aim is to enable the strengthening of a vibrant civil society, particularly at a local level, which observes, organises and acts, with an emphasis on the needs and experience of women and the girls, to: i) Recognise and exercise their human rights, particularly their social and economic rights; and ii) Create a society that has effective laws and delivery systems, including comprehensive social protection for the most vulnerable. We want to ensure that all sectors of society take responsibility for reducing inequality and poverty. Our belief is that through individual and collective non-violent action, active citizens have the power to change their own situation and impact on society as a whole.
The Black Sash seeks to appoint a Finance and Operations Manager, based in Mowbray, Cape Town.
The overall purpose of the Finance and Operations Manager is to ensure the careful, ethical and strategic management of the finances and operations of the Black Sash in line with organisational policies and values, and professional best practice, to ensure the sustainable and effective delivery of our programmes in line with our vision of making human rights real.
- Financial management: Provide up-to-date, clear financial information to managers and trustees as required, including monthly income/ expenditure statements for all units and projects and donor reports. Provide support to fundraising and donor compliance processes with regard to financial reports and budgets. Manage cash flow, prepare financial projections and the following processes: investment, budgeting, financial management, audits. Manage statutory returns and ensure effective accounting systems are implemented. Develop and manage policies and procedures, in line with professional best practice;
- Human Resources (HR) management: Recruitment and personnel management. Manage payroll process and Implement programmes to ensure staff wellness. Develop and manage policies and procedures, in line with professional best practice.
- Administration: Ensure all national and regional staff has access to effective administrative support. Manage procurement processes, maintenance and management of assets, resources and materials. Manage quality and cost control of logistics, and ensure effective office management.
- Information technology management: Manage suppliers and technical consultants/service providers. Manage data and reporting systems. Ensure adequate resources for staff through implementing effective procurement policies and budgets.
- Staff management: Line manage HR, IT, Finance and Administration staff, including supervision as required, regular work reviews and staff development plans.
- Governance: Work with the National Director and Board of Trustees to ensure statutory compliance and good governance.
- Bachelor of commerce or an equivalent financial qualification;
- Completion of Articles;
- Human resource management diploma or a degree in Human Resources (HR)/labour law (would be an advantage);
- IT and/or database training;
- Valid driver’s licence is essential;
- Excellent financial management skills, strong planning, organisational, strategic and analytical skills;
- Working knowledge of Pastel, Microsoft Word, Email, Internet and d-base packages;
- Time Management skills - prioritise work and manage time effectively;
- Knowledge of legislation pertaining to employment conditions and industrial relations;
- Management and supervisory skills (including coaching and training skills);
- Good communication, interpersonal, listening and conflict resolution skills;
- Minimum of 10 years financial and operations management experience;
- Track record in a NPO environment is essential, particularly an understanding of fund accounting and donor reporting;
- Experience in reporting to donors such as the European Union, USAID will be an advantage;
Fluency in spoken and written English is required, and at least one other South African language.
The Black Sash is looking for a candidate that is committed to human rights, access to justice, development and empowerment with integrity, honesty and has respect for confidentiality. A person who will be able to work in a team and with a transparent, accountable and consultative style and embrace the values, vision, strategies and policies of the Black Sash. . A candidate who is able to think pro-actively, creatively and responsively and prepared to work hard, under pressure and to deadline, often beyond normal office hours, and to travel occasionally.
Preference will be given to women in line with our Employment Equity Plan.
Start date: Immediately.
Employment type: This is a fixed term contract for a period of two years from commencement date.
Remuneration: R38 754 per month (including benefits).
To apply, submit a CV (one document) and motivation letter, including three contactable referees to email@example.com or fax to: 021 686 7168.
Please quote the source of this advertisement in your application - NGO Pulse Portal.
Enquiries: Mr. JS Marques, Tel: 021 686 6952.
A full job description is available on request. For more information about the Black Sash, refer to www.blacksash.org.za
Only short listed candidates will be contacted. Should you not hear from us within a month from the closing date, please accept that your application was unsuccessful.
For more information about the Black Sash, refer to www.blacksash.org.za.
For other vacancies in the NGO sector, refer to www.ngopulse.org/vacancies.
Want to reach the widest spectrum of NGO and development stakeholders in South Africa as part of your communication and outreach objectives? Learn more about how the NGO Pulse Premium Advertising Service can support your communication requirements. Visit http://goo.gl/MUCvL for more information.