Biowatch South Africa
Biowatch South Africa seeks to appoint a Project Manager based in our Durban office.
The Project Manager will be responsible for the overall management of the Seed and Knowledge Initiative (SKI) which Biowatch is implementing with communities in KwaZulu-Natal and with partner organisations in southern Africa. SKI is a partnership between Biowatch, the University of Cape Town and the Mupo Foundation. The goal of SKI is to support small-holder farmers in southern Africa, in particular women and the communities in which they reside, to become more seed, food and nutritionally secure through improved seed and food diversity and the application of local knowledge systems.
The Project Manager will support the Biowatch Director and the SKI Director in Biowatch projects and in the Seed and Knowledge Initiative.
- Responsible for the overall management of the project in conjunction with the SKI Director;
- Supporting the implementation of SKI, which will include organising project related events such as workshops, trainings and strategy meetings in South Africa and the region;
- Coordinating the implementation of the SKI and Biowatch Monitoring and Evaluation framework and plan according to the planned schedule and process;
- Project administration and executive support to the Biowatch Director and SKI Steering Committee;
- Project reporting;
- Ensuring budgetary compliance and prudence to ensure effective and accountable project implementation;
- Ensure the implementation of all project management systems in both Biowatch offices (Durban and Mtubatuba) which would require regular travel between the two.
Qualifications and Experience
- A related degree;
- Ten years’ proven experience in project management, preferably in the development or environment sector;
- Extensive experience in organising events (such as workshops, meetings and exchanges);
- Experience of Monitoring and Evaluation processes;
- Familiarity with the concepts and issues around agriculture, biodiversity and environment is a significant advantage.
Some Key Competencies
- Excellent writing skills and the ability to communicate complex issues in an accessible manner;
- Excellent communication skills;
- Ability to steer the project based on identified opportunities for and risks to the project;
- Good problem solving skills and a positive attitude;
- High level of computer proficiency;
- Drivers’ license, own vehicle and able to travel.
- Ability to function effectively under the pressure of deadlines;
- Self-motivated and reliable;
- Constructive and effective;
- Values team work;
- Committed to social and environmental justice;
Prospective applicants must submit a detailed CV, together with the names of at least three referees and a covering letter motivating their application to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please indicate in the subject line that your application is for the Project Manager position.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Should you not hear from Biowatch within three weeks of the closing date, please consider your application unsuccessful.
Biowatch is an equal opportunity employer and reserves the right not to fill the position.
Commencement of duties: 1 March 2015 or as soon as possible thereafter.
Closing date for applications: 5 December 2014.
Enquiries: Allison Myeza, Biowatch Office Administrator, tel: 031 206 2954, email: email@example.com.