Ashoka Southern Africa
Ashoka is an international citizen-sector organisation that strives to shape a global, entrepreneurial, competitive citizen sector: one that allows social entrepreneurs to thrive and enables the world’s citizens to think and act as changemakers. Ashoka has identified, invested, and brought together more than 3 000 leading social entrepreneurs in more than 73 countries around the world. Main goal: Search, select and support Ashoka Social Entrepreneurs in Southern Africa (currently: Botswana, Malawi, South Africa, Zimbabwe, Zambia, Mozambique).
Ashoka seeks to appoint a Finance/Administrative Manager for Southern Africa, based in Johannesburg.
S/he will lead Ashoka’s financial reporting process, prepare budgets, analyse variations against budgets, and in general, support the Director’s decision making process as well as oversee the basic administration of the office.
S/he will report to the Southern Africa Regional Director based in South Africa and to the Global Finance Controller based at Ashoka’s headquarters in Washington, DC, U.S.A.
Ideally this will be a full-time (40 hours/week) contract position but part-time scheme is negotiable.
- Serve as a liaison between the Southern Africa office and the Global Finance Team;
- Track all programme revenues and expenses;
- Develop the budget and analyse variations between actual P&L and budget;
- Track grant restrictions and prepare financial reports to comply with donors’ information requirements;
- Responsible for oversee reimbursements and invoices;
- Prepare reports from fundraising database as requested;
- Design budgets for grant proposals.
- South African citizenship;
- Degree in accounting, finance, business or related field is a must;
- Sound accounting knowledge;
- Minimum of four years of working experience in related fields;
- Proactive team-player with strong analytical skills, and detail oriented;
- Experience developing budgets and financial management;
- Experience with Microsoft Office software;
- Ability to learn quickly through accessing a variety of resources such as existing documentation and on-line resources;
- Ability to work independently and as a member of a team;
- Ability to manage time wisely and prioritise activities to achieve results;
- Excellent interpersonal and verbal/written communication skills combined with excellent attention to detail;
- Problem-solving skills;
- Fluency in written and spoken English. Knowledge of Portuguese or French will be an asset;
- International travel and/or work experience;
- Creativity and commitment to the public interest;
- Ethical fiber;
- Team working and leadership skills;
- Systemic, conceptual thinking.
Start date: immediate or within 30 days.
Salary: A salary compatible with position and citizen sector standards, benefits including health insurance and annual performance pay will be offered.
To apply, submit a CV (maximum three pages), salary expectation, and motivation letter detailing background in the citizen sector and reasons for identifying with Ashoka’s vision of an Everyone a Changemaker world to email@example.com. Indicate the position you are applying for by adding the code: “FAM12” in the subject line.
Please quote the source of this advertisement in your application - NGO Pulse Portal.
Enquiries: Gillian Mupotsa at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Applications without a motivation letter will not be considered. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Ashoka is a comprehensive equal opportunity employer that takes diversity: ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation and disability into account in its selection process.
For more about Ashoka, refer to www.ashoka.org.
For other vacancies in the NGO sector, refer to www.ngopulse.org/vacancies.
Follow and support the 2012 SANGONeT "No Pain No Gain" fundraising and awareness-raising campaign. Refer to www.ngopulse.org/npng for more information.