Agency for Refugee Education, Skills Training & Advocacy (ARESTA)
The Agency for Refugee Education, Skills Training & Advocacy (ARESTA) a nonprofit organisation and an Implementing Partner for the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR). ARESTA fulfils a practical empowerment role in educating and providing skills to refugees and asylum seekers, helping them to become self-reliant during their stay under the protection of the South African Government.
ARESTA seeks to appoint a Bookkeeper, based in Athlone, Cape Town.
This position a twelve months contract, renewable subject to funding availability, adequate work performance and good conduct.
The successful candidate will work under the direct supervision of the Executive Director. The Bookkeeper will perform all bookkeeping, accounting services and aspects of financial control and reporting required by the Agency. S/he will be responsible for handling all the fundamental aspects of ARESTA financial recordkeeping, including recording financial transactions, calculation of employees salaries and required payments to the Receiver of Revenue, managing accounts payable and receivable, reconciling bank statements, reports for funders, completing annual tax forms and preparing all relevant financial documents (trial balance,…) to be submitted to the Independent Auditors.
- Records all financial transactions into the correct journals and post the entries to the relevant ledger accounts;
- Ensure that source documents (such as invoices, receipts, or deposit slips) and other relevant paperwork are filed correctly and safely;
- Maintains historical records by filing documents;
- Develops system to account for financial transactions by establishing a chart of accounts; defining bookkeeping policies and procedures;
- Maintains subsidiary accounts by verifying, allocating, and posting transactions;
- Balances general ledger by preparing a trial balance; reconciling entries;
- Do monthly bank account reconciliations;
- Prepares financial statements and reports by collecting, analyzing, and summarizing account information and trends;
- Complies with the Receiver of Revenue requirements by enforcing adherence to requirements; filing reports; advising management on needed actions;
- Prepare and complete the organisation’s tax returns;
- Keep track of organization assets and provide inventory support, including maintaining office equipments, stationery and supplies;
- Make sure that supplier invoices and accounts are paid on time;
- Provide accountants and auditors with access to the relevant financial documents and records;
- Make bank deposits (cash, cheques,..) and receipts of money;
- Receive requests for materials and equipment and prepare purchase orders accordingly;
- Collect and manage students tuition fees;
- Manage the flow of petty cash;
- Take charge of payroll administration; and
- Support fundraising efforts - assist with budget preparations.
- Degree or National Diploma in Financial Accounting or Bookkeeping;
- Minimum of five years accounting or bookkeeping experience including accounts management, payroll, general ledger, trial balance and financial reports;
- Sound knowledge and working experience with accounting software (especially Pastel Accounting)
- Knowledge of computerized accounting, but must be able to do a manual set of books;
- Knowledge of regulatory requirements of processing payroll accounting transactions and payroll returns;
- Ability to communicate clearly and concisely, verbally and in writing, in English;
- Ability to work under pressure and set priorities;
- Must be able to keep staff and client matters strictly confidential;
- Must have excellent interpersonal skills and customer service skills;
- Computer literate – with advanced excel skills;
- Prior experience in Business Management preferred;
- Registration with Professional and Certified Bookkeepers Body will be an advantage.
Remuneration: R16 500 per month for a minimum of 40 hours per week.
To apply, submit a CV with a supporting motivation letter and two names of your referees at firstname.lastname@example.org with “Reference: Assistant Community Education Campaign Manager” in your subject line – no later than Friday 23 January 2015, 12:00 PM.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted and those who have not heard from ARESTA by 28 January 2015, consider your applications unsuccessful.
Qualified women and members of Refugee communities are strongly encouraged to apply.
For more about the Agency for Refugee Education, Skills Training & Advocacy, refer to www.aresta.org.za.
For other vacancies in the NGO sector, refer to www.ngopulse.org/vacancies.
Need to upgrade your NGO's technology capacity and infrastructure? Need software and hardware at significantly discounted prices? Refer to the SANGOTeCH online technology donation and discount portal at www.sangotech.org.