Afrika Tikkun is a non-governmental organisation (NGO) that provides education, health and social services to children, youth and their families through centres of excellence in South African townships.
Afrika Tikkun seeks to appoint a ECD Practitioner at Arekopaneng Centre, based in Orange Farm, Johannesburg.
The successful candidate will guide and encourage the all-round growth and development of Children according to the Centre’s educational goals and according to each learner’s needs. To provide quality care that meets the needs of children and their families.
- Programme Development and Implementation
- Provide a safe and developmentally appropriate programme for the children with the emphasis on learning through play;
- Must be knowledgeable about child development and appropriate practice;
- Needs to be prepared to improve own knowledge of child development and early childhood;
- Plan and implement activities and an environment to meet the physical, emotional, intellectual and social needs of the children in the daily programme;
- Ensure equipment and the play room areas are clean, well maintained and safe at all times;
- Prepare and set out all the educational activities and materials needed for the day according to the Theme Planner;
- Observe and Assess children throughout the day and keep records thereof as per the Centre’s “Assessment Policy”, complete a progress report every quarter for parents. Carry out parent interviews when necessary to provide support for both the child and the family in this case;
- Organise all resources and materials required for children’s programmes;
- Promote integration of “special needs” children and be aware of the benefits involved;
- Provide a safe, loving environment by maintaining the policies of the Centre;
- Ensure children are supervised at all times;
- Attend weekly staff and planning meetings;
- Assist in arrangement of trips and outings of educational value for the children on a regular basis with parents’ permission;
- Accept, welcome and guide assistant teachers and ECD students.
- Be accountable for and keep records of all monies received by you;
- Keep an updated and systematic filing system of all required records by the Centre;
- Keep all registers and records up to date for your group of children according to the requirements of the Centre’s Policies and the Principal.
- Establish positive relationships with children, parents and other staff;
- Cooperate with colleagues in order to maintain a good teaching standard;
- Involve parents in the education of their children;
- Maintain confidentiality over Centre information and family information;
- Guide children’s behaviour appropriately and maintain a supportive social environment in the centre;
- Report to the principal when a learner is absent from the centre for more than one day;
- Communicate to the principal if any unusual events occur with the children in your class;
- Have written proof of any issues regarding children, parents or colleagues and submit to the Principal. In the case where you have issues with the principal forward a written report to the project leader;
- Work effectively and professionally as a team member;
- Act as a resource and support to parents;
- Promote a positive image to the public;
- Act as a resource to the ECD Department.
- Other Duties
- Relieve other educators when need be;
- Maintaining standards of cleanliness in the playroom and toilet as per the “Hygiene Policy” of the Centre;
- Be familiar with emergency procedures;
- Perform all other duties specified by the centre e.g. playground duty etc;
- Collect and organise waste material for your classroom;
- Make ECD learning resources for your classroom;
- Ensure all broken equipment is removed and repaired or replaced;
- Perform or assist with one or more other non-teaching administrative duties as being the:
- Secretary to staff meetings
- Stationary controller;
- Library books controller;
- Extra Murals
- Present at all outings and excursions for children;
- Attend all functions, talks, lectures, workshops and meetings given by ECD Organisations and parent bodies;
- Participate in all functions hosted by the parent management committee outside normal office hours.
- Early Child Development knowledge and experience;
- Good written and verbal communication – parent interviews and quarterly reports;
- Organisational and planning ability;
- Ability to work under pressure;
- Multi task;
- Prioritise workload;
- Meet deadlines;
- Good attention to detail;
- Ability to work independently;
- Fluent in at least two languages;
- Matric (Grade 12);
- Teaching tertiary qualification – minimum NQF level 4;
- Minimum of two years’ experience.
To apply, submit a CV to to Simphiwe Nzima at email@example.com or fax to: 086 668 0542.
Please quote the source of this advertisement in your application - NGO Pulse Portal.
For more about Afrika Tikkun, refer to www.afrikatikkun.org.
For other vacancies in the NGO sector, refer to www.ngopulse.org/vacancies.
Follow news, information and updates from SANGONeT and NGO Pulse on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/ngopulse