African Wildlife Foundation
The African Wildlife Foundation (AWF) is an international conservation organisation that works together with the people of Africa, to ensure that the wildlife and wild lands of Africa endure forever.
For more than 50 years, the African Wildlife Foundation (AWF) has been a key player in African Conservation and sustainable development.
AWF seeks to appoint a Senior Programme Officer – Geographical Information System (GIS), based in in Nairobi, Kenya with frequent travel to the field.
The person will be a talented professional able to provide geospatial technical support to AWF’s Heartland Programme.
- Report to the Director Conservation Geography and Senior Director Conservation Science;
- Provide GIS support to projects led by Heartland Directors and field staff in coordination with the AWF technical thematic (pillar) directors;
- At the operational level, the person will lead site-level resource mapping programmes; implement tools designed to streamline and improve performance of data collection protocols, provide technical support to AWF’s ecological monitoring, compile, maintain, and analyse spatial data from various sources; lead spatial capacity development of AWF staff and partners; Manage AWF’s centralised database and web mapping service, maintain logical data structures, support AWF’s communications with cartographic and analytical data and represent AWF at appropriate regional geospatial conservation forums as needed.
- Bachelor’s degree in relevant field from a reputable institution; A Master’s will be preferred;.
- Minimum of five years of applied GIS preferably in natural resources/conservation and development context;
- Proficient in ArcGIS, GIS based modelling and GPS-based data collection;
- Ability to design and lead data collection programme;
- Significant experience in editing and integrating datasets from diverse sources;
- Knowledge of statistical analysis particularly as related to spatial data;
- Fluency in written and spoken English and Kiswahili; French is an added advantage;
- Ability to work independently and within a team in multicultural settings often in physically demanding conditions;
- Demonstrated ability to build capacity of multiple stakeholders to engage in landscape planning and management.
A professional operating environment with latitude to innovate and deliver value as well as a competitive remuneration package is available to the right person who shares an interest in AWF’s mission and core values.
To apply, submit a detailed CV indicating daytime telephone numbers, contact details of three referees and motivation letter with ”Senior GIS Officer” in the subject line to email@example.com.
Only shortlisted candidates shall be contacted.
For about the African Wildlife Foundation, refer to www.awf.org.
For other vacancies in the NGO sector, refer to www.ngopulse.org/vacancies.
Follow and support the 2012 SANGONeT "No Pain No Gain" fundraising and awareness-raising campaign. Refer to www.ngopulse.org/npng for more information.