African Men for Sexual Health and Rights (AMSHeR)
The African Men for Sexual Health and Rights (AMSHeR) is a coalition of 15 Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender and Intersex [LGBTI] and Men who have Sex with Men (MSM) led organisations in 13 African countries. Founded in 2009, AMSHeR works to increase the protection of the sexual and health rights of gay men and other MSM, strengthen the capacity of member organisations, contribute to the development of effective HIV programming and facilitate research on gay men and other MSM.
AMSHeR strives to increase the visibility of MSM/LGBTI issues across various levels such as policy, legislation, communities, service delivery, and strengthen capacities of national agencies and individuals working to improve policy, legislation and programming related to MSM/LGBTI sexual and reproductive health and rights. AMSHeR is headquartered in Johannesburg, South Africa with a Francophone office in Dakar, Senegal.
AMSHeR seeks to appoint a passionate individual with a unique combination of education, skills and experience as Senior Communications Specialist, based in Johannesburg.
This is a mid-level position reporting to the Director of Programmes.
Working with the Health, Law and Policy and Movement Building teams in Johannesburg and Dakar, as well as members, partners [national, regional and international] and donors.
The main purpose of this position is to develop, implement and report on AMSHeR’s Communications strategy and contribute to the establishment and maintenance of AMSHeR's regional position, influence and authoritative voice.
- Coordinate the development of the AMSHeR’s Communications strategy for increased visibility and impact;
- Write and support members to write media advisories, press releases, backgrounders, letters to the editor and opinion articles, and pitch these materials to targeted audiences;
- Coordinate responses to media requests and, when appropriate, act as a spokesperson for AMSHeR;
- Together with in-house staff and external contractors, write and coordinate the production of the AMSHeR’s communication materials;
- Work with members of the Law and Policy Programme, Health Programme and Movement Building Programme to edit, proofread and publish AMSHeR publications, including reports, booklets, info sheets, Q&A documents, and briefing papers.
- Promote AMSHeR profile, knowledge, interventions and products through a range of social and other media forms in order to provide a base for implementation of strategy and plans.
- Master’s degree in communications, journalism, or public relations (or equivalent qualification);
- Minimum of five years experience working in a senior communications role, preferably for a non-governmental organization, and ideally in the areas of LGBTI, human rights, sexual and reproductive rights and health, HIV/AIDS, and/or legal issues;
- Experience in building and managing relationships with journalists;
- Excellent oral and written communications skills in both English and French;
- Demonstrated ability to act as a media spokesperson;
- Demonstrated capacity in conducting trainings.
- Experience using social media in support of human rights education and campaigning; and
- Humour, collegiality, and the ability to work under tight deadlines and in an often fast-changing media environment.
To apply, submit a CV, motivation letter and writing sample to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please quote the source of this advertisement in your application - NGO Pulse Portal.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
For more about the African Men for Sexual Health and Rights, refer to www.amsher.net.
For other vacancies in the NGO sector, refer to www.ngopulse.org/vacancies.
Want to reach the widest spectrum of NGO and development stakeholders in South Africa as part of your communication and outreach objectives? Learn more about how the NGO Pulse Premium Advertising Service can support your communication requirements. Visit http://goo.gl/MUCvL for more information.