African Leadership Academy: Vice President - Leadership Potential
Tuesday, May 29, 2012 - 12:01
African Leadership Academy
Please note: this opportunity closing date has passed and may not be available any more.
Opportunity closing date:Wednesday, June 20, 2012
ALA aims to develop the next Nelson Mandela, the next James Mwangi, the next Ellen Johnson-Sirleaf, and the African Sam Walton, Jonas Salk, and Steve Jobs.
ALA seeks to appoint a Vice President - Leadership Potential, based at ALA Campus, Johannesburg.
This is a senior management position for an experienced leader who seeks to play an instrumental role in the transformation of Africa by identifying and recruiting the African Continent’s most promising young leaders and entrepreneurs.
- Join the ALA Senior Executive team and work directly with the CEO to craft long-term strategy and drive overall organizational excellence;
- Lead a team of admissions professionals and manage their efforts to recruit promising young leaders from across the African continent and around the world;
- Develop, execute on, and continuously improve a selection process that seeks to ensure that the young leaders with the greatest potential for transformative leadership are admitted to the Academy;
- Develop highly customised admissions strategies to maximize success across socioeconomically distinct target constituencies;
- Identify and build deep relationships with recruiting partners including feeder schools, government agencies, and NGOs working with youth across the African continent;
- Lead the design of world-class marketing and collateral materials, including brochures, videos, and website that effectively sell African Leadership Academy to prospective students and parents around the world;
- Communicate the African Leadership Academy vision and present the admissions process at high-profile events and with the media across the African continent;
- Identify opportunities to leverage our understanding of ‘leadership potential’ to the recruitment and selection of prospective ALA staff.
- Extraordinarily effective in the management of large teams and feel comfortable delegating responsibilities, setting goals, and identifying areas for development. Have excellent interpersonal skills;
- Motivational leader capable of eliciting consistently high levels of performance from team members, and you proactively encourage subordinates to reach new levels of professional excellence;
- Passionate about Africa and thrilled by the prospect of identifying and recruiting African youth who have the potential to become transformative ethical leaders for the continent;
- Have a track record of launching new initiatives or programmes. Enjoy the uncertainty of an entrepreneurial environment. In fact, you thrive in it;
- Extremely driven, flexible with your working hours, and comfortable with frequent travel around the African continent;
- Dynamic achiever (a self-starter) who enjoys bringing a vision into reality with minimal guidance;
- Excellent long-term strategic planner, capable of conceptualising desired outcomes, evaluating existing programmes, and identifying the steps necessary to transform the status quo into an ideal outcome;
- You relish the challenge of ‘selling’ an exciting vision to a wide variety of constituents across the continent, including prospective students, parents, and local community members;
- Strong networker across age, education and cultural groups;
- Embody the very type of leader the Academy aspires to create—be an agent of positive change, and live up to our values of Integrity, Humility, Compassion, Excellence, Curiosity, and Diversity;
- Excellent communicator across all levels: you can communicate well with the media, students, parents. Be an impressive public speaker;
- Well organised and a strong project manager.
- Extensive experience leading comprehensive identification and selection processes, such as at a highly competitive educational institution, scholarship programme, or personnel recruitment organisation;
- Experience working closely with Senior Executives to frame and accomplish long-term organizational objectives;
- Nuanced understanding of how to drive strategy across different target constituencies, including socioeconomically disadvantaged scholarship candidates and wealthier fee-paying candidates;
- Experience managing large teams comprised of individuals from diverse ethnic, cultural, and national backgrounds;
- Clear track record of success in launching new initiatives, including long-term strategic planning and project management;
- English language fluency is required. Proficiency in French will be strongly preferred. Proficiency in Portuguese would be a plus.
Starting date: August 2012.
To apply, submit a CV and motivation letter detailing your experience and interest in the position to email@example.com.
Please quote the source of this advertisement in your application - NGO Pulse Portal.
For more about the African Leadership Academy, refer to www.africanleadershipacademy.org.
For other vacancies in the NGO sector, refer to www.ngopulse.org/vacancies.
Follow and support the 2012 SANGONeT "No Pain No Gain" fundraising and awareness-raising campaign. Refer to www.ngopulse.org/npng for more information.