African Institute for Mathematical Sciences-Next Einstein Initiative (AIMS-NEI)
The African Institute for Mathematical Sciences (AIMS) is a pan-African centre for post-graduate training and research providing advanced, broadly applicable mathematical skills to talented students recruited from all over Africa.
The African Institute for Mathematical Sciences Next Einstein Initiative (AIMS-NEI) is the coordinating body for a network of innovative pan-African centres of learning for postgraduate teaching, research and outreach in the mathematical sciences across Africa.
Next Einstein Initiative (NEI) is a core programme of AIMS that involves the establishment of a network of fifteen centres of excellence across Africa that is focused on the teaching of mathematical sciences to African university graduates.
AIMS-NEI secretariat seeks to appoint a Head of Finance and Internal Control, based in Muizenberg, Cape Town.
This is a full-time contract position for up to two years.
The person will report to the Director of Finance and Operations. S/he will be responsible for ensuring high levels of transparency and control across the network; working with the finance managers and accountants in the centres to ensure that best practice procedures are implemented and that all reporting is received on time and to a high level of accuracy.
Maintaining financial systems and controls across a pan-African network of centres which includes
- Ensuring the right policy framework is in place at centre and network levels to guide decision making;
- Establishing financial systems and processes in new centres including training of staff and adapting the finance manual to local requirements;
- Training of staff at centre level;
- Carry out financial risk analysis at centre and network levels.
Reporting and Budgeting support in a multi-centre, multi-currency and multiple-donor environment including
- Overseeing internal audits until the internal audit function is established;
- Consolidation of network-wide reports.
- BCom (Hon) Acc;
- Accounting designation;
- Minimum of four years working experience in accounting, and financial management;
- Fluent in English;
- Sound knowledge of not-for-profit organizations;
- Exceptional interpersonal skills, a collaborative style and the ability to communicate effectively at all levels;
- Excellent ability to integrate different financial information and present them as a whole comprehensive piece;
- Ability to develop systems, processes and policies to support the achievement of them in a cost effective manner;
- Knowledge of accounting systems;
- Experience giving training in use of financial systems and financial management;
- Ability to work with non-finance professional and communicate financial information non finance professionals;
- Enjoys working in a multi-disciplinary team;
- Proficient in Microsoft Office software;
- Audit background.
Starting date: 1 August 2012 or as soon as possible.
To apply, submit a CV, contact details of two referees and motivation letter with "Head of Finance and Internal Control" in the subject line to AIMS-NEI Hiring at email@example.com or post to AIMS-NEI, 5 Hillcrest Road, Muizenberg, 7945.
Please quote the source of this advertisement in your application - NGO Pulse Portal.
Should you not hear from AIMS-NEI within four weeks of the closing date, consider your application unsuccessful.
For more about the African Institute for Mathematical Sciences, Next Einstein Initiative, refer to www.nexteinstein.org.
For other vacancies in the NGO sector, refer to www.ngopulse.org/vacancies..
Follow news, information and updates from SANGONeT and NGO Pulse on Facebook at http://mzan.si/AAzs.