Africa Health Placements
Africa Health Placements (AHP) is a social profit organisation that provides public sector health worker recruitment and retention.
With 20% of the world’s population, Africa languishes with only 2% of the world’s physicians. Shortages are further exacerbated by inequities within the healthcare sectors. The public sector in South Africa, for example, serves 80% of the population, but employs only 20% of the health workers. Within the public sector, rural areas are suffering even more dramatically than their urban counterparts.
AHP was started in South Africa in 2005. The AHP model has enjoyed much positive publicity and success since then, and is now sought after for the valuable assistance and input for which the organisation is renowned.
Africa Health Placements seeks to appoint a Senior Marketing and Communications Officer, based in Rosebank, Johannesburg.
The Senior Marketing and Communications Officer will report to the COO and will be responsible for managing AHP’s marketing and communications strategy and team.
Starting date: 1 May 2013.
This is a fixed-term contract with option to extension.
Marketing & communications strategy
Build marketing strategy to recruit health workers from defined target markets which is:
- Based on an understanding of those markets through focus groups, surveys etc;
- Assessed against AHP’s competitors;
- Innovative in terms of social technology (i.e. crowd sourcing principles, social media).
Efficiently implement print, conference, media and alumni campaigns, with the following in mind:
- Effective budget management;
- Copywriting, design and printing of quality marketing material;
- Brand management and consistency checking/facilitation;
- Ensure adherence to and maintain AHP brand;
- Manage departmental marketing budget with guidance from COO;
- Manage events fundraising strategy when developed;
- Support advocacy efforts by the Executive Office in terms of communications and media.
Online and media
- Increase AHP's presence and connection to customers and the organisation's market through social networking technology and AHP's website;
- Ensure that all online content is updated daily;
- Drive traffic to the AHP website under guidance from the marketing strategy.
- Manage event coordination and scheduling (conferences, CPD, internal etc) with the Marketing and Events Coordinator.
- Formalise AHP's alumni programme to leverage foreign-qualified alumni for recruitment, orientation, strategy development and fundraising.
- Internal communications and other
- Perform or coordinate further website development and updates when needed;
- Create intranet for AHP and ensure updated weekly at a minimum;
- Provide excellent customer service to both internal and external stakeholders.
- Relevant tertiary qualification in marketing, communications, PR, etc;
- At least five years working experience in a relevant field;
- Experience working in the NGO environment could be helpful but not required;
- Proven track record of successful marketing campaigns or marketing strategies.
- Strong relationship building and management skills;
- Focus on quality service delivery/customer service (both external and internal);
- Creative and strategic thinking with an ability to manage implementation;
- High levels of emotional intelligence and sensitivity
- Excellent English verbal and written communication skills;
- Ability to work independently and to take initiative;
- Ability to convert experience into strategic insights.
To apply, submit a CV and motivation letter to Jeanette Strydom at email@example.com.
Please quote the source of this advertisement in your application - NGO Pulse Portal.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
For more about Africa Health Placements, refer to www.ahp.org.za.
For other vacancies in the NGO sector, refer to www.ngopulse.org/vacancies.
Need to upgrade your NGO's technology capacity and infrastructure? Need software and hardware at significantly discounted prices? Refer to the SANGOTeCH online technology donation and discount portal at www.sangotech.org.