Active Schools Initiative: School Facilitators
Active Schools Initiative
ASI promotes play as a form of experiential learning and physical activities as important aspects of cognitive and social learning at primary school level. ASI´s "PLAY & LEARN" concept is based on an international educational approach. It aims to reduce bullying and violence on the school grounds and strengthens the personal resources of children by providing opportunities for social learning and personal development. ASI wants to empower children to cope with their difficult living conditions and to become change agents and positive role models in their schools, neighbourhoods and communities.
ASI seeks to appoint two trainees as School Facilitators at its partner school in Soweto – Diepkloof, Johannesburg and at its partner schools in Langa, Cape Town.
S/he reports back to the Regional Coordinator and the Coordinator for training and education.
This will be a part-time position (maximum 24 hours per week) during normal school hours since ASI´s ´Play & Learn´ Programme will be facilitated during the schools´life-orientation periods.
The selected candidate has to undergo first ASI´s training process for up to three months depending on previous facilitator experience.
- Facilitation of ASI´s Play & Learn Programmes at respective partner school(s);
- Planning and documentation of ´Play & Learn´sessions;
- Responsibility for ASI´s working equipment at partner schools;
- Communication with teachers and principals;
- Coordination of child trainers and interval programme;
- Facilitation of workshops and holiday programmes;
- Weekly staff meetings;
- Report writing (monthly basis);
- Assistance in conducting evaluation surveys at partner schools.
- Should be from the schools´surrounding in Soweto-Diepkloof or Langa, Cape Town and be a positive role model in the communities;
- Grade 10, Matriculants will be preferred;
- Preferably 18-30 years old;
- Passion and patience for children;
- Time management skills, responsibility, honesty, commitment, flexibility and team player;
- Communication skills - ability to read, write and speak in two official South African languages - English and isiXhosa, isiZulu or Sotho (languages at the respective partner schools);
- Experience as a facilitator or a volunteer in the community will be of benefit for this position.
Remuneration: This is a volunteer position where only a stipend can be paid.
To apply, submit a CV with contact details of two references and a thoughtful motivation letter, outlining how your skills and experience meet the qualifications of the position to email@example.com.
Please quote the source of this advertisement in your application - NGO Pulse Portal.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for an interview.
If you have not been contacted by the beginning of October 2012, consider your application unsuccessful.
ASI reserves the right not to make any appointment in this position.
For more about the Active Schools Initiative, refer to www.asi.org.za.
For other vacancies in the NGO sector, refer to www.ngopulse.org/vacancies.
Follow news, information and updates from SANGONeT and NGO Pulse on Twitter at http://twitter.com/SANGONeT.