Abt Associates is a mission-driven, global leader in research and programme implementation in the fields of health, social and environmental policy, and international development.
Abt Associates seeks candidates for an upcoming USAID-funded capacity development project in South Africa. The project will focus on supporting the provision of high-quality HIV/AIDS services through the development of sustainable institutional capacities, strengthening the health and social services systems, and enhancing local organisations’ capabilities in treatment, care, and prevention.
Highly qualified and experienced candidates with expertise in the following areas are being recruited for the position of Strategic Information Advisor. The candidate will lead project efforts to work with the Government of South Africa to strengthen the use of data in decision making, improve the quality of data produced by existing government systems and facilitate the use of common formats and platforms between ministry’s and departments.
Responsibilities will include:
- Use and augmentation of existing country information systems to collect outcome and impact indicators, analyse data, and disseminate results to key stakeholders;
- Development of policy relevant materials that can be used for decision making, for example, briefs, dashboards and presentations;
- Contribution to project assessments, evaluations and other activities as needed;
Collaboration with Ministry departments to:
- Develop strategies to improve data quality, efficiency of information systems and interoperability;
- Identify system bottlenecks and advise on areas for further strengthening;
- Develop evidence-based recommendations that can be used to inform government policies and plans;
- Coordinate and provide capacity development activities to strengthen demand driven data use;
- Coordinate with other international partners to share strategic information;
- Prepare and deliver presentations and reports to stakeholders, including government, donors and civil society organisations.
- Master's Degrees (minimum) in a relevant field such as: health information management, public health, epidemiology, or related field;
- 7-12 years of relevant experience;
- Significant technical depth in health information systems;
- Proven ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships and assure collaboration with key stakeholders;
- Demonstrated knowledge and understanding of South Africa’s economic, cultural, political, and social context;
- Significant long-term experience working in South Africa;
- Demonstrated leadership skills and ability to lead multi-disciplinary, multi-cultural teams;
- Demonstrated ability to assure that teams adhere to standards of accountability, quality, and cost-effectiveness;
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills, proven initiative and good judgment, and ability to communicate effectively in English, both orally and in writing;
- South African nationals are strongly encouraged to apply.
Individuals interested in being considered should send their CV and a letter of application that provides details of their specific qualifications to the following e-mail address: SouthAfrica_Jobs@AbtAssoc.com with “Strategic Information Advisor” in the e-mail subject line .
Those interested in learning more about Abt Associates’ multi-disciplinary group of dedicated professionals who provide technical assistance, research, analysis, and systems strengthening services in more than 100 countries should refer to www.AbtAssociates.com.