Sonke Gender Justice
Position based in Cape Town
Remuneration: R780K to R960K total cost to company per annum
Founded in 2006, Sonke is a womxn’s rights organisation that is committed to feminist principles, using a rights-based and gender transformative approach to achieve human rights and gender justice. Our vision is a poverty free world in which womxn, children, men and gender non-conforming individuals enjoy equitable, caring, healthy and happy relationships that contribute to the development of gender just and democratic societies. Sonke strengthens governments, civil society and citizen’s capacity to advance gender justice and womxn’s rights, prevent gender-based violence, and reduce the spread of HIV and the impact of AIDS, and in this way contributing to social justice and the elimination of poverty. (http://www.genderjustice.org.za/)
About the Position
The Finance Unit Manager is responsible for the efficient planning, management and reporting on the financial management of the organisation, works closely with the Co-Executive Director (Operations) and the senior management team (SMT) to provide guidance throughout the finance cycle from budgeting and planning to actual expenditure, reporting and audit preparations. In addition, the Finance Unit Manager will develop, co-ordinate and control the budgeting process, and will monitor the results by providing the necessary financial reports for donor organisations, the Board and SMT.
The Finance Unit Manager plays a strategic role on the management team and will use their financial expertise to ensure effective, ethical, and prudent financial decision-making in the organisation.
Key duties and responsibilities:
The Finance Unit Manager will be responsible for:
- Providing strategic financial management;
- Co-ordinating internal and external audits (organisational and funder-specific);
- Budgeting, forecasting, as well as financial monitoring and reporting;
- Managing procurement processes within the organisation;
- Provide oversight and management of financial policies, operating procedures & systems;
- Risk management & supervision of the finance team;
- Provide reports & prepare presentations on financial matters to management & board meetings; and
- Develop short, medium, and long-term financial plans and projections.
Strategic financial management:
- Work with Sonke’s Co-Executive Director (Operations) to develop, refine and guide Sonke’s strategic vision through managing internal and external processes and providing costing for operational/project activities;
- Co-ordinate and develop budgets based on the organisations strategic plan;
- Monitor the implementation of the strategic financial objectives of the organisation and recommend appropriate investment opportunities to strengthen the organisation’s reserves to provide financial sustainability;
- Take responsibility for strategic financial management and financial analysis in the organisation, to ensure quality, cost effectiveness and accuracy of financial reporting;
- Revise, amend & implement Sonke’s financial systems to ensure proper and transparent financial management in line with International Financial Reporting Standards;
- Work with the Co-Executive Director (Operations) to ensure that all funding contracts are rigorously managed to avoid organisational risk;
- Ensure financial policies and procedures are reviewed and updated regularly, ensuring the organisation has mechanisms for the monitoring of internal controls and compliance; and
- Manage the cash flow of the organisation, together with all bank accounts, petty cash floats and organisational credit/debit cards, prepare/review cash flow projections on an ongoing basis.
- In consultation with the Co-Executive Director (Operations) convene meetings to forecast flow of funds and budgeted expenditure for each programme and draft an organisational budget for the following year;
- Give informed financial updates, reports and advice in quarterly FMT meetings and ensure that critical operational issues related to finance are flagged and resolved; and
- Monitor budgets for over and under expenditure for specific projects and donors.
Cash flow forecast
- Ensure that invoices due to the donor is processed and submitted; and
- Assist the budget holders to draft cash-flow forecasts and monitor the cash flow.
Preparation and presentation at Board Meetings
- Ensure that Sonke complies with the Companies Act 2008 and with the Companies Regulations, IFRS and the Code of Good Governance for NPO’s; and
- Provide reports and make presentations on finance issues for the Board meetings.
Supervision of payments
- Ensure that payment requisitions have the correct authorizations and supporting documents;
- Ensure that invoices are reconciled to the statements; and
- Ensure that the preferred supplier database is updated on a regular basis.
Management of Audits
- Co-ordinate the external annual audit, donor specific audits, and oversee internal audits; and
- Co-ordinate pre-audit meetings to establish expectations and requirements prior to the audit, make recommendations on findings & ensure prompt corrective action is implemented where appropriate.
Management of Finance Team
- Convene weekly team meetings and monitor implementation of the unit’s work plan;
- Manage staff development plans and other human resource matters and play a key role in building the financial management skills of the team; and
- Facilitate team building, team identity, and strengthen working relations between staff members.
Payroll management & adherence to statutory requirements
- Manage the efficient administration of payroll and oversee timely processing of payments; and
- Ensure that Sonke is compliant with all statutory requirements and payments.
Asset Register & management of assets
- Provide oversight and management of the organisation’s property & equipment including the Asset Register;
- Ensure that the asset register agrees to the information on Pastel Evolution; and
- Ensure that all assets are physically listed at each office.
- Ensure that donor reporting takes account of the provisions of all relevant funding contracts;
- Ensure that monthly Income and Expenditure reports, year-to-dates, shows expenses incurred, funds available and funds needed for the remainder of the project are prepared in line with the various deadlines; and
- Prepare internal and external financial reports.
Compliance and financial policies and procedures
- Work to refine financial systems to ensure proper and transparent financial management is in line with International Financial Reporting Standards (IFRS);
- Ensure financial policies and procedures are reviewed and updated regularly and ensure monitoring of internal controls and compliance;
- Ensure that the organisation is SARS compliant including with regards to Income Tax, VAT, UIF, and PAYE and that all submissions and payments are made by the due date.
Experience and educational qualifications
- A Bachelor of Commerce Degree (B.Com Honours advantageous)
- Exceptional knowledge of IFRS
- Evidence of progressive growth with increasing responsibility and ability to take on and complete projects
- Minimum 8 years management experience & proven experience in managing a finance team
- Experience working with and managing strategic relationships with international donors
- Working knowledge of the King Three Report on Good Corporate Governance
- Thorough knowledge of Pastel Evolution. Knowledge of Fraxion would be advantageous.
- Knowledge of international donor/funding requirements and ability to monitor and ensure compliance with requirements.
- Demonstrated analytical and problem-solving skills which support and enable sound decision making.
- Ability to lead, inspire and motivate team members.
- Excellent communication skills and interpersonal skills, including the ability to communicate effectively with both technical and non-technical colleagues.
- Proven ability to work as a team leader and as a team member within multidisciplinary teams.
- Problem-solving skills, the ability to work under pressure, and meet deadlines in a fast-paced environment.
- Analytical and abstract reasoning skills, plus excellent organizational skills.
- Relationship building skills with an ability to establish rapport and credibility with a broad group of internal and external stakeholders.
- Experience in contributing to the overall strategic planning of an organization.
- Exhibit the highest standards of excellence and integrity, and display, at all times a courteous, professional and cooperative attitude.
- Fluency in English a requirement & valid driver’s license essential.
- Interested applicants should submit their Curriculum Vitae, a motivation letter detailing their suitability to the role & contact details of 3 work-related referees to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Closing date 31 December 2021
- Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
- For non-South Africans or permanent residents, it is the responsibility of the applicant to attain a work permit from the Department of Home Affairs; employment will depend on a valid work permit being in place.
- Sonke is committed to racial and gender transformation and encourages previously disadvantaged individuals to apply.
- If you do not hear from us by 31 January 2022, please consider your application unsuccessful.
- The organisation reserves the right not to make an appointment.