Desmond Tutu Health Foundation (DTHF)
PHD STUDENT - FOUR (4) YEAR SCHOLARSHIP OPPORTUNITY X2
The Desmond Tutu Health Foundation (DTHF) is a registered non-profit organisation focused on the pursuit of excellence in research, treatment, training and prevention of HIV and related infections in Southern Africa.
We have fantastic scholarship opportunities within our Knowledge Translation Unit (KTU) for incumbents wanting to complete their PHD. Could that be you? If so, we invite you to explore the possibility of joining us to play your part in Desmond Tutu Health Foundations’ exciting future.
We are seeking two PHD Students who will primarily be working on a funded study by the National Institute for Health Research (NIHR) focused on the development of an evidence led co-created health systems interventions for people living with multiple long-term conditions (MLTC) in South Africa, of which their PhD should be the focus.
PhD focus: The successful candidates will be required to register for full time study at University of Cape Town in 2022 and their PHD should be embedded within the trial and either on process evaluation or work package 5.
- Master’s in a health-related field
- Ability to register as a doctoral student in January or February 2022 at the University of Cape Town (UCT)
- Working experience in qualitative and some quantitative research in evaluation of public health interventions
- Minimum 1 year experience in statistical analyses
- Knowledge of statistical software
- Computer literate in MS Word, Excel, Power Point, Internet, email, acrobat
- Excellent communication (verbal and written) skills
- Willingness to learn new research skills and methodologies
- A mature and responsible attitude towards work, with the ability to take ownership of projects
- Ability to influence and build interpersonal relationships
- Quality oriented
- Resilient, proactive and adaptable
- Experience of engagement with stakeholders in the public health sector and community level
- Experience in ethics submissions and evidence with peer reviewed publications
- Proficiency in isiZulu or isiXhosa
- Review literature relevant to objectives of PhD in evidence led co-created health systems interventions for people living with multiple long-term conditions (MLTC) in South Africa
- Design and write doctoral research protocol
- Apply for relevant ethical and regulatory approvals
- Work independently to collect and analyse data and write-up of thesis
- Attend regular supervision with primary and secondary supervisor
- Keep accurate records of study progress according to project timelines
- Complete required training on information governance and data protection
- Develop skills through access to post graduate research training programmes
- Attend conferences and disseminate findings
- Write articles for publication in peer-reviewed journals
- Present progress and findings to supervision panel as well as relevant stakeholders
Remuneration, depending on scholarship agreement rate.
KTU Vision fit: To improve the quality of primary healthcare for underserved communities through pragmatic research, evidence-based implementation, evaluation, and engagement of health systems, their planners, providers and patients.
Values fit: Passion Innovation Progress Integrity Respect Excellence
Application Process and Disclaimer:
To apply, there is a two-step process:
1. Complete the questionnaire by clicking on the link:
PHD student scholarship questionnaire
2. Submit CV, motivation letter with certified copy of highest qualification and details of three (3) current contactable referees to: Attention HR Manager Jobs@hiv-research.org.za by 8th December 2021 and include the reference number: #DTHF/C075. Incomplete applications will not be considered. Only applicants who have completed both applications steps, will be considered.
NB: Only short-listed candidates will be contacted. We are committed to equity in our employment practices. It is our intention to appoint individuals with the aim of meeting our equity objectives. We reserve the right not to appoint if no suitable candidates are identified.
I understand and accept that by applying for this position, I authorized DTHF to process my personal information in accordance with its internal operational requirements.
I further understand that the personal information I disclose to DTHF will be processed in accordance with the requirements set out in the Protection of Personal Information Act and may include the transferring thereof to third parties for the purposes of verification.
This job may be removed before it expires.
If you have not heard from us within two weeks after the closing date please consider your application as unsuccessful.
Desmond Tutu Health Foundation is a child-friendly organisation committed to the protection of children.
For more information about the organization please visit our website at www.desmondtutuhealthfoundation.org.za