Opportunity closing date:
Friday, 3 December 2021
Chemonics International, an international development firm, seeks a Deputy Chief of Party for Operations for the USAID/ VukaNow Activity. This five-year project aims to support the shared commitments of the U.S. Government, the Southern Africa Development Community, member states, private sector partners, and civil society to significantly decrease wildlife crime across southern Africa. The purpose of the Activity is to coordinate learning and sharing and support strategic regional activities to address wildlife crime challenges. We are looking for individuals who have a passion for making a difference in the lives of people around the world. This position will be based in Pretoria, South Africa.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide direct oversight of VukaNow’s operations, administration, logistics, procurement, subcontract/vendor/grants management, human resources, and budgeting and financial accounting.
- Support the Chief of Party to ensure that USAID and Chemonics policies and procedures are followed; identify and mitigate risks to the project, USAID, and Chemonics.
- Review all expenditures and transactions against supporting documents from procurement, grants, and subcontracts departments, ensuring appropriate back-up documentation is submitted in accordance with Chemonics procurement and financial policies.
- Oversee and monitor the implementation of the Activity’s $1.5 million grants portfolio.
- Ensure timely management of agreements with landlord, vendors, and subcontractors; maintain proper procedures, trackers, and filing systems
- Directly supervise the Activity’s Office Manager, Accountant, and Grants & Subcontracts Officer.
- Other duties as assigned by the Chief of Party.
- Bachelor’s degree in relevant discipline required, advanced degree preferred.
- Minimum four years of experience with USAID contracts, including demonstrated experience in contractual compliance, procurement/subcontracting, grants, financial management, and human resources.
- Experience with grants under contract mechanisms preferred.
- Knowledge of the South Africa operating environment, including registration, taxes, and labor law.
- Strong interpersonal skills with proven experience facilitating communications and coordinating with a wide range of stakeholders and partners.
- Demonstrated leadership, versatility, and integrity.
- Fluency in written and spoken English.
The Deputy Chief of Party for Operations will be based in Pretoria, South Africa.
Length of Assignment:
This will be a fixed-term position that will conclude on/about March 2023 when the VukaNow Activity closes.
Apply online https://app.smartsheet.com/b/form/21606cff553045fd96d554c4aae847ae by 3 December 2021. This recruit is being conducted on a rolling basis, so please submit your application as soon as possible. No telephone inquiries, please. Finalists will be contacted.
Chemonics is an equal opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and does not discriminate in its selection and employment practices. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, disability, protected veteran status, genetic information, age, or other legally protected characteristics