Lawyers against Abuse
Lawyers against Abuse (LvA) is an NGO that works to strengthen the justice system’s response to gender-based violence by providing legal services and therapy to victims, engaging with local state actors, and empowering communities. LvA has operated Centres in Diepsloot since 2014 and Orange Farm since 2021.
LvA seeks to appoint a Junior Legal Officer on a full-time basis, based in Orange Farm, Johannesburg.
Expected Start Date: 10 January 2022
Salary: Negotiable, based on experience and qualifications.
- Implement LvA intervention in Orange Farm, including establishing necessary stakeholder relationships and delivering on key programmatic objectives.
- Provide comprehensive support in criminal cases including court support and regular engagement with police, prosecutors, and other court personnel to ensure the law is being applied accurately and effectively.
- Assist clients in obtaining protection orders including the initial application, advising on submission and service, and supporting clients through final hearing.
- Provide general legal advice and make referrals to other service providers as needed.
- Work closely with LvA’s partners to implement integrated services model.
- Engage with local state actors and community stakeholders as needed for purposes of relationship strengthening, accountability, and capacity building as needed.
- Maintain client files.
- Write reports and other documentation.
Qualifications and Experience:
- LLB/BA Law/Bcom Law degree required.
- Experience providing direct legal services within a community-based setting.
- Experience working with victims of gender-based violence or other vulnerable populations.
- Strong understanding of women’s rights and issues around gender-based violence.
- Fluency in Sesotho, isiZulu, and/or Xhosa.
- High levels of flexibility, strong leadership skills, a clear sense of purpose, and problem-solving skills.
- Demonstrated ability to work efficiently, both individually and in a team.
- Excellent analytical skills.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in English.
- Ability to exercise discretion and maintain the confidentiality required.
- Strong computer skills, especially with Microsoft Office suite.
To Apply: Interested applicants should submit a CV and motivation letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. The closing date for applications is 29 November 2021. Incomplete or late applications will not be considered. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. LvA reserves the right to not hire for this position should no suitable candidates apply.
Please quote the source of this advertisement in your application - NGO Pulse Portal
Late applications will not be considered.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for an interview.
LvA reserves the right to not hire for this position should no suitable candidates apply.
To know more about Lawyers against Abuse, refer to www.lva.org.za
For other vacancies in the NGO sector, refer to www.ngopulse.org/vacancies