Viewfinder is an accountability journalism unit which does long-term investigations into abuses of power which impact on the public interest, specifically as it relates to the advancement of human rights, equality and redress, in South Africa. Viewfinder's flagship project aims to expose the underpinnings of police misuse of force and police non-accountability in SA. In 2022 Viewfinder will seek to deliver investigative projects in new focus areas. Viewfinder is a Cape Town-based organisation but this position can be based anywhere in the country.
Viewfinder seeks to appoint a reporter and researcher to assist with investigative briefs and the production of journalism. This role will be on a six-month fixed term contract starting in January 2021, with an opportunity for extension.
- Work alongside Viewfinder editor to execute predefined investigative reporting briefs.
- Prospect new avenues for investigation, develop story briefs and pitches, conduct investigations, and produce compelling, evidence-based and impact-orientated journalism
- Experience as a reporter or as a researcher in a public interest, human rights centred field
- An appreciation for the basics of good investigative reporting: source development, securing access to open-sources and hidden records.
- The ability to report from the field: develop relationships with sources and subjects, conduct interviews and render compelling narrative journalism.
- Ability to work independently and meet deadlines
- Drivers license
Attributes that are a plus:
- Experience with producing video or working with a broadcaster.
Send your CV along with a cover letter, and two examples of work that you are most proud of to firstname.lastname@example.org.
For other vacancies in the NGO sector, refer to www.ngopulse.org/vacancies