Isandla Institute is a non-profit organisation with a vision of just, equitable, sustainable and democratic urban habitats. Through research, dialogue, advocacy, institutional support, partnerships and network coordination, we seek to help bring about systems and practices of urban governance that advance this vision. Our work centres around the notion of urban citizenship, which we understand to be about both the enjoyment of rights and urban life opportunities as well as processes of political participation and claims-making.
Isandla Institute is looking to employ a dynamic Policy Researcher to complement our youthful Urban Land Programme team. The Programme promotes access to urban land and human settlement development for spatial transformation, inclusive and just city making, and sustainable development. We are involved in a partnership project on the backyard rental market as a vital (and not well-understood) component of an affordable housing market that can support people’s rights to shelter, services and urban citizenship. We are looking for someone who is passionate about these issues, self-driven and a team player.
The position is based in Cape Town.
Key job responsibilities:
- Conceptualise and implement research and produce and disseminate research outputs
- Conceptualise, coordinate and implement project events, including knowledge sharing platforms with peer organisations
- Present research and policy work in appropriate fora
- Policy advocacy, networking and stakeholder liaison
- Produce media outputs for organisational and external forums (eg website, newspapers)
- Draft funding proposals and reports to donors
- Project administration and report writing.
Key competency requirements:
- Strong research and writing skills
- Ability to package information for different audiences and different purposes (including practice-oriented outputs aimed at municipal practitioners)
- Excellent social, interpersonal and stakeholder management skills
- Sound conceptual and analytical abilities
- Ability to design a meeting agenda, process or advocacy initiative
- Ability to demonstrate strategic thinking
- Good facilitation and presentation skills
- Ability to independently plan, manage, work under pressure and meet strict deadlines
- Ability to work as part of a team, be flexible and be able to assign tasks and responsibilities
- Ability to give attention to details, be systematic and meticulous
- Good project coordination skills
- Advanced computer literacy.
The successful candidate needs to have a Masters Degree in Planning, Geography, Development Studies or related field, and a minimum of 3-5 years relevant work experience, preferably in the NGO sector. A good understanding of urban development, human settlements, local government and/or the public sector is essential. A good grasp of housing related issues, preferably the backyard rental sector, is required. S/he must be a RSA citizen or have the legal rights and permit to work in RSA as granted by the government of South Africa.
An application form with details about how to apply is available online.
Please click on this hyperlink: Policy Researcher Application. Deadline for applications is Friday 5 November 2021 at 15:00 (local time). Salary range: R300,000-360,000 (total cost to company, depending on qualifications and experience).
Isandla Institute is an Equal Opportunity Employer and seeks to diversify its staff. Preference will be given to suitable candidates in terms of the organisation’s equity policy and to applicants between 25-35 years of age.
Applications are only complete if the application form includes 2 contactable references and is accompanied by an application letter, clearly explaining how you qualify for the position, and your CV, which has to include a list of publications. Late or incomplete applications will not be considered. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.