amandla.mobi is an independent, community advocacy organisation that seeks to build a more just and people powered Mzansi. We do this through our work, which aims to turn every cell phone into a democracy building tool, so that those most affected by poverty, violence and corruption – Black women from low-income backgrounds – can organise in numbers that hold power to account. amandla.mobi supports a movement of 962,000 members across South Africa.
amandla.mobi is currently a team of 5 people who, on a daily basis, work with our members to set up campaigns on different social justice issues by using different tactics such as petitions, public submissions, meetings with decision makers, crowdfunding for campaign tactics, events, mobilising communities etc. We work with over 40 different values-aligned partner organisations who, together with our members, set up and run campaigns on www.awethu.mobi.
amandla.mobi communicates with its members through SMS, USSD, Whatsapp, email, our mobi site and social media, and we work hard to ensure as many of our campaigns as possible are translated into isiZulu, isiXhosa and Setswana.amandla.mobi is an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer.
The amandla.mobi office is based in Kensington, Johannesburg. When Covid-19 restrictions allow for it, the Office Administrator will need to be able to work from this office 5 days a week.
amandla.mobi is inviting applicants to join our small, but highly skilled team, based in Johannesburg, to serve our members across South Africa.
This position will be responsible for the smooth running of the office, including support to the Executive Director.
They are looking for someone who has a proven track record for managing the day to day needs of office administration. The ideal candidate must be excited about working in a small team that creates change through the use of technology, communications and tools that enable our members to build people power and hold decision makers to account. Our workplace is fast paced and ever changing, and we’re looking for someone who has initiative, is efficient, organised, a people person who thrives on getting things done on time in a small team environment.
Employment type: Full time, 1 year contract
Start date: Monday 1 November 2021 (can start immediately if available)
Black women, non-binary people, people living with disabilities and LGBTQI individuals are strongly encouraged to apply.
Functions and responsibilities
- Undertake general office administration duties, including screening, answering and directing incoming calls and dealing with incoming emails, dealing with social media messages and post, welcoming and directing visitors arriving at the office.
- Drive internal communications using internal technology tools such as Monday.com, Gmail, Google docs and Slack.
- Provide administrative support to the Executive Director, including managing the ED’s email account, managing her calendar and scheduling of meetings, maintaining her annual conference calendar.
- Provide the public interface on the amandla.mobi account.
- Organise, prepare packs, attend and take minutes at Board, management, administrative and other meetings.
- Provide support for writing donor and other reports.
- Keep key organisational data up to date for quarterly evaluation meetings, board meetings, donor reports etc.
- Provide a resource to the team, including administrative and logistical support related to campaigns and organising amandla.mobi member events.
- Organise and maintain hard copy and electronic files and records; and manage the organisational filing system.
- Undertake basic bookkeeping duties, including processing invoices on Xero, sourcing quotations, assist with the completion and filing of monthly requisition forms and managing petty cash.
- Assist in managing the asset register and keeping it up to date.
- Assist with HR Manual compliance by staff.
- Engage with and manage stakeholders and service providers, and maintain their databases.
- Manage travel logistics and develop travel itineraries pertaining to domestic and international travel for all staff.
- Conduct basic research as assigned by management staff.
- Assist with data entry when necessary.
- Assist with translations and editing of text when necessary.
- Maintain organisational website and other platforms.
- Undertake ad hoc duties needed to advance the organisation’s mission, as required.
3+ years of administrative assistant experience preferred.
Note that there are no educational requirements for this role.
These are what we require experience in:
- Proven track record as a personal assistant or office administrator.
- Proven track record of being able to both follow instructions and work independently and take initiative.
- Track record in people management and working closely with others.
- Strong experience with writing emails and taking minutes of meetings.
- Strong experience with organising logistics.
- Basic research experience.
We are particularly interested if you are:
- Fluent in writing and speaking at least one local language and English.
- Extremely comfortable using technology such as word processors, spreadsheets and databases, online task and project management tools, cloud-based platforms and internal communication tools such as Slack, and able to quickly adapt to using new technology tools (using Google support, where necessary).
Salary will be determined based on your experience.
amandla.mobi does not provide medical aid, pension, life insurance or any other benefits, to any of its staff.
All employees are subject to a three month probation period.
Please use link below to apply;