Lesbian and Gay Community and Health Centre
The Lesbian and Gay Community and Health Centre (the LGBTI Centre) is community-oriented wellbeing and human rights focused services, training and advocacy organisation. They provide direct services, outreach youth and community well-being programme, support and education primarily to lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and intersex (LGBTI) individuals and/or communities, Men Who Have Sex With Men (MSM) in KwaZulu-Natal (KZN).
The LGBTI seeks to appoint a Human Rights and Advocacy Officer who will be based our eThekwini District and will be responsible for developing and managing human rights education and advocacy programme, organising and executing a wide range of activities associated with diversity training of law enforcement, community dialogues, management of hate crime and gender based violence cases, the facilitation of media and communication and research and campaign activity towards policy reform.
Opportunity Type: 7 Months Contract Opportunity
Start Date: 1 October 2021
Reports To: Programmes Manager/Executive Director
- University degree in law, human rights, political science, social sciences or related field;
- 3-5 years of work experience in developing and implementing advocacy strategies;
- Experience in human rights work;
- Excellent knowledge of political processes and experience working with civil society groups to advocate for change;
- Excellent research skills, including the ability to find, analyze, synthesize, and present information;
- Experience in media and communications (conduct radio interviews/shows).
- Good communication and interpersonal skills and the ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships;
- Excellent spoken and written English
- High adaptability and ability to work independently and under stress in a sensitive environment;
- Creativity/Initiative and good team player;
- Proficient in Microsoft Windows applications, Excel format and power point;
- Command of wordpress software a strong asset;
- Available for travel and flexible working hours.
- Contribute to the documentation of human rights violations for advocacy initiatives;
- Analyse public policies on human rights mechanisms nationally and internationally;
- Carry out advocacy activities and produce advocacy-oriented communication materials;
- Liaise with community-based reactors and build their capacity to advocate locally;
- Propose adaptations of Training Manuals for Human Rights;
- Organise and Facilitate Training with Law Enforcement and Community Dialogues;
- Report on advocacy activities within the organisation and at various Justice Task Teams;
- Liaise with international Non-Governmental Organisations and international bodies working on the protection of human rights defenders in the region;
- Collaborate and prepare reports on programmatic and thematic topics and others;
- Prepare regular updates for the website and other social media distribution;
- Hand in, in a timely manner, narrative and financial reports related to the programme;
- Contribute to the development of the organisation’s security plan, and compliance;
- Keep abreast of the political situation in the country and contribute to the organizational political analysis.
Interested candidates to please submit 1) a 2 Page Summary CV with 2+ traceable references, and 2) certified supporting documents to Hr@gaycentre.org.za
Please quote the source of this advertisement in your application - NGO Pulse Portal.
For other vacancies in the NGO sector, refer to www.ngopulse.org/vacancies.