Institute for Security Studies
The ISS is an African non-profit organisation with offices in South Africa, Kenya, Ethiopia and Senegal. Our work covers transnational crimes, migration, maritime security and development, peacekeeping, peacebuilding, crime prevention and criminal justice, and the analysis of conflict and governance.
The Institute for Security Studies (ISS) seeks a Regional Director for the Horn and East Africa, based in Addis Ababa. This is a challenging opportunity for an experienced leader and manager with strategic vision, energy, passion and a sound knowledge of human security in Africa. The Regional Director will shape the ISS’ work in the region and with key stakeholders in Addis Ababa.
The position requires competency in four primary areas: strategic positioning and profiling of the ISS in Addis Ababa vis-à-vis the African Union (AU), diplomatic community and regional stakeholders; fundraising; ensuring the effectiveness of ISS’ policy research, technical support and training; and the overall management of the office and its staff.
This is a senior management position, and the successful candidate will be a member of the ISS’ management committee and report to the Executive Director.
Overview of duties:
- Ensure that ISS is well-positioned and profiled in Addis Ababa and the region through active networking and relationship-building with the AU, regional economic communities, local diplomatic community, government officials, partner organisations, and civil society
- Manage the office on a day-to-day basis, including staff, work plans, budgets, and M&E systems as required by ISS procedures
- Identify and pursue fundraising opportunities for the office, including writing proposals, regular and ongoing donor liaison, and writing donor reports
- Provide strategic and proactive leadership and guidance on human security developments in the region and on the continent to Addis Ababa staff and ISS as a whole
- Provide advice and quality control of the office’s research, technical support and training activities
- Collaborate with ISS Programme Heads and other regional directors in the planning, implementation and reporting of activities that intersect with those of the Addis Ababa office
- Contribute to ISS’ overall strategic planning, management and organisational processes
Key competencies required:
- Well developed understanding of human security in Africa and the thematic areas of ISS work
- Advanced interpersonal, management, leadership and diplomatic skills across all levels of the organisation and with external stakeholders
- Understanding of the requirements for high-quality policy research, technical support and training
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal
Qualifications, experience and skills required:
- A postgraduate qualification in social sciences, law, international relations, public policy or related field
- Strong management skills with at least seven years in a senior management position
- Experience with fundraising, donor liaison and donor reporting
- A business administration or financial qualification will be advantageous
- Experience in budget planning, efficient monitoring of expenditure and financial reporting
- Experience working in a policy research environment or in policymaking, government or an intergovernmental organisation
- Experience in research, policy advice, training and/or technical assistance
- Experience in using results-based management
- Willingness to travel extensively in Africa and internationally
The contract length will be three years and may be renewed subject to programme requirements, funding and satisfactory performance. A competitive salary is offered.
Email your application to Rekha Valabh at firstname.lastname@example.org. Applicants must provide a cover letter and detailed CV, including at least three contactable referees. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
Please quote the source of this advertisement in your application - NGO Pulse Portal
For more about ISS, refer to https://issafrica.org/
For other vacancies in the NGO sector, refer to www.ngopulse.org/vacancies