My Vote Counts
My Vote Counts is a non-profit company founded to improve the accountability, transparency and inclusiveness of elections and politics in South Africa. They work towards a South Africa where every person has equal access to, equal control of and equal participation in our democratic process
In view of the imminent retirement of one of our non-executive directors in accordance with our governance practice, the Board of My Vote Counts is recruiting one new non-executive director.
My Vote Counts invites interested and suitably qualified candidates to apply for the position of non-executive director of the organisation. The appointed director must understand how activism, advocacy and litigation contribute to social justice, and be committed to deepening democracy and promoting and defending the role of civil society and activists in realising human rights.
Qualifications, skills and experience:
My Vote Counts and its Board are committed to the highest standards of governance, and to a board of directors which has the appropriate balance of knowledge, skills, experience, diversity and independence to enable it to discharge its governance roles and responsibility objectively and effectively.
The appointed director should possess the qualifications, skills, expertise and commitment which will support the organisation in achieving its objectives. Suitably qualified candidates with experience in one or more of the following areas of expertise, are encourage to apply:
- Financial management and audit requirements
- Fundraising expertise and experience
- Strategic communications and/or public relations
- Board membership of non-profit companies
- Movement building and organising
- Academic credentials in the areas of democracy, public interest law and/or social justice
My Vote Counts is committed to diversity, inclusion and transformation and strives to reflect South Africa’s racial, cultural, sex and gender diversity. Black and womxn candidates, as well as candidates younger than 40, are strongly encouraged to apply for this post, and will be preferred.
Candidates must have a clear understanding of the fiduciary duties of a director, and demonstrate the following personal characteristics:
- Integrity: Have experience in a position of trust requiring him or her to act in good faith, avoid conflicts of interest, and display the highest standards of honesty and integrity within and outside the organisation.
- Independence: Be able to exercise judgment independently of any stakeholder outside of My Vote Counts, and not occupy any political office (in any political party) or occupy a position in any sphere of government.
- Competence: The nominated directors must have obtained a degree or equivalent qualification and have demonstrable practical knowledge and experience relevant to the role.
What the Board does
The Board of Directors comprise of a non-executive Chairperson and seven non-executive board members as well as the executive Director. The Board meets on a quarterly basis.
The Board provides governance and oversight and participates in the development of the strategic direction of the organisation, and monitors its activities. The Board approves our annual budget, reviews quarterly reports on spending against budget, signs off on the annual audit of the financial statements, and ensures that MVC is adequately resourced to meet its strategic objectives.
Non-executive director positions are not remunerated, but all reasonable and agreed travel expenses will be covered by the organisation.
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org with a brief explanation of your interest in and suitability for this role, as well as a copy of your CV.
Please quote the source of this advertisement in your application - NGO Pulse Portal
For more about My Vote Counts, refer to www.myvotecounts.org.za
For other vacancies in the NGO sector, refer to www.ngopulse.org/vacancies