Resilient Waters Program
USAID RESILIENT WATERS PROGRAM
SCOPE OF WORK
REPORTS TO: WASH Specialist
The goal of the USAID Resilient Waters Program is to build more resilient and water secure Southern African communities and ecosystems through improved management of transboundary natural resources and increased access to safe drinking water and sanitation services. Specific objectives include:
- Improved transboundary water security and resource management;
- Increased access to safe, sustainable drinking water and sanitation services;
- Strengthened ability of communities and key institutions to adapt to change; particularly the impacts of climate change; and,
- Conserved biodiversity and ecosystem services.
II. PURPOSE AND OBJECTIVE OF ASSIGNMENT
The Resilient Waters Program, National Directorate for Water Supply and Sanitation in Mozambique (DNAAS) and Xai Xai Municipality in Mozambique are engaged in a three-way collaboration to improve institutional knowledge and capacity on faecal sludge management using Xai Xai as a case study. In the collaboration, Resilient Waters commits to the following:
- Deliver an online training workshop on the Faecal Flow Diagram (SFD) and climate resilience planning in the context of sanitation management.
- Develop a low-resolution SFD for Xai Xai.
- Work with the Xai Xai Municipality to develop infrastructure investment options that maximize improvements for safely managed sanitation based on the findings from the SFD.
- Work with Xai Xai Municipality to identify investment opportunities in the Sanitation Service Chain, as well as critical investments to secure the supply of faecal sludge to the Xai Xai composting facility.
- Provide support in the development of investment proposals for improving the management of non-sewered sanitation in Xai Xai to investors and donors.
The purpose of this assignment is to fulfill Resilient Waters commitment to the three-way collaboration agreement by delivering the following through the services of a Shit Flow Diagram (SFD) Specialist:
- An online workshop on the shit flow diagram and climate resilience planning in the context of sanitation management for Xai Xai Municipality
- Complete a first pass low resolution shit flow diagram for the Xai Xai Municipality
- Develop a costed faecal sludge management improvement/action plan for the Municipality
The Resilient Waters Program is also supporting the development of the Xai Xai Climate Adaptation Plan (CAP) for the Municipality. The CAP is being developed in a separate, but parallel process to this scope of work. It was always the intention of Resilient Waters to align both processes. Therefore, the findings from the SFD assessment, is expected to be incorporated into the Xai Xai Climate Adaptation Plan report as part of this assignment.
III. PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The principal duties of the SFD specialist are to:
- Develop all material relating to and conduct an online training workshop that consists of 3-5 half day sessions in Portuguese.
- Complete a shit-flow diagram and assessment report with the support from Resilient Waters Program local agents based in Mozambique for data collection.
- Develop a costed improvement/action plan based on the findings from the SFD assessment for Xai Xai Municipality.
- Provide written inputs on the findings of the process to be included into the Xai Xai CAP.
Additionally, the SFD specialist will have the following responsibilities to:
- Participate in meetings with Resilient Waters and the partners in Mozambique to prepare the deliverables,
- Engage directly with the WASH Specialist to determine the needs for meeting the deliverables, including field data collection and organizing meetings with Xai Xai Municipality
- Participate in short bi-weekly update meetings with the WASH Specialist on progress
- Develop a plan of action on how the specialist will go about meeting the deliverables within the stipulated timeframes
The specialist is expected to fulfill their duties and responsibilities through remote working arrangement.
IV. EXPECTED OUTPUTS AND OUTCOMES
Outcome 1: Improve knowledge and capacity on the FSM and the use, application and analysis of the SFD tool
- Output1: Workshop agenda, training materials and evaluation form for an online workshop on SFD and climate resilience in the context of sanitation management
- Output 2: An online training workshop report on the SFD and climate resilience in the context of sanitation management
- Output 3: A first pass SFD and SFD report
- Output 4: A costed and improvement plan for Xai Xai Municipality based on the findings from the SFD report
Outcome 2: Support ongoing parallel activities in Xai Xai
- Output 5: Provide written contributions to the Xai Xai Climate Adaptation Plan based on the findings from the SFD report and the costed improvement plan
In collaboration with the WASH Specialist, and WASH Advisor the consultant is expected to complete the following tasks:
- Prepare workshop materials and agenda
- Conduct SFD workshop
- Debrief and workshop report
- Develop low resolution first pass SFD and SFD report
- Develop costed improvement plan based on findings from SFD report
- Provide written inputs to the Xai Xai Climate Adaptation Plan based on findings from the SFD report and costed improvement plan
- Assignment Close Out
VI. DELIVERABLE SCHEDULE
|No.||Deliverable||Date of completion|
|Workshop agenda, training materials and evaluation form for an online workshop on SFD and climate resilience in the context of sanitation management||13 August 2021|
|An online training workshop report on the SFD and climate resilience in the context of sanitation management||23-27 August 2021|
|A first pass SFD and SFD report||17 September 2021|
|A costed and improvement plan for Xai Xai Municipality based on the findings from the SFD report||30 September 2021|
|Provide written contributions to the Xai Xai Climate Adaptation Plan based on the findings from the SFD report and the costed improvement plan||30 September 2021|
VII. DUTY STATION
This assignment will be based remotely with no travel expected, workshops/meetings will be virtually conducted.
VIII. ESTIMATED LENGTH OF ASSIGNMENT
This is an STTA expected to expend 24 days of LOE on the assignment between 1 August 2021 and 30 September 2021. Remote working is expected.
IX. SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
The applicant must demonstrate the following set of skills or level of experience:
- Hold a Master’s degree or higher qualification in engineering, environmental management or equivalent to the scope of work
- Prior knowledge and work experience in the Faecal Sludge Management with particular experience in conducting Shit-Flow Diagram assessments and conducting workshops on shit-flow diagrams
- Experience and track record of delivering online training workshops
- Experience in developing improvement plans or actions plans in Faecal Sludge Management for Municipalities
- Experience of working with local government
- Fluency in Portuguese is a must
- Experience of working with local government in Southern Africa in line with the scope of work
- Consultants with access to existing training software licenses and platforms would be preferred, as the budget for this assignment does not support the development of an online training system. Should a system not be available, the consultant will have access to use the Resilient Waters Zoom meeting account.
X. Applications close on 4th of August 2021 and must be sent via the link https://app.smartsheet.com/b/form/0733eea4c1fa40c4a8bbd422b1c46a43
XI. Chemonics Inc reserves the right to not fill the position. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.