Open Society Foundation for South Africa (OSF-SA)
The Open Society Foundation for South Africa (OSF-SA) was established in 1993, a moment of political transition as South Africa prepared for its first democratic elections. Since then, OSF-SA has grown with South Africa’s democracy, shifting its approach when the times demanded it. Over the years, groups funded by OSF-SA have led the way in holding the state accountable for realising the rights promised by South Africa’s progressive Constitution including the right to education, non-discrimination, healthcare, a clean and safe environment, and housing. Since inception, OSF-SA has also supported state and civil society efforts to ensure equal access to the protections of the law and to promote freedom of expression in South Africa. OSF-SA is a national foundation, part of the Open Society Foundations set up by businessman and philanthropist George Soros to promote the ideals of an open society. Today, the Open Society Foundations is the world’s largest private funder of organisations working for justice, democratic governance, and human rights, and is the third largest philanthropic fund by endowment globally.
As a member of the executive team, this role will be key in the delivery of the overall strategy through the people processes. The HR & Talent Manager will have a proven track record of managing an organisation through a major change process, as well as designing innovative, flexible and forward looking systems and processes aimed at attracting, retaining and developing talent. This person will need to demonstrate a high level of emotional intelligence and maturity and the ability to collaborate with all stakeholders to ensure people related projects are successfully implemented. The successful candidate will have the ability to see the ‘big picture’ and be naturally solution oriented, understanding how to navigate a complex, matrix structure within a global organisation. This person will need to effectively balance the focus on day to day operational responsibilities and future oriented projects. This person will need to demonstrate an understanding of how to mitigate and manage risk associated with non-compliance with legislation, policy and procedure and at the same time, look for opportunities to drive innovation in terms of establishing a new culture and ways of working.
The Key Result Areas for this role include but are not limited to:
- Strategy & Planning contribution to overall strategy as well as the people strategy
- Talent Management
- Change Management
- Employee Life Cycle management
- Management of Policy & Procedure Framework
- Management of contracts, payroll and benefits
The successful candidate will have the capacity to:
- Develop and/or co-develop the required best practice, systems and procedures to achieve organisational goals;
- Translate organisation plans into functional plans and tactics;
- Manage complex assignments and projects that require high levels or integration and extensive knowledge and skills concerned with workplace management and professional issues;
- Exercise effective judgment, decision making and willingness to work simultaneously on a wide range of tasks and projects;
- Have comprehensive experience with human resource and talent management and managing external service providers (payroll, benefits administration, recruitment, compensation, etc.);
- Demonstrate flexibility, willingness to listen and learn in the company of colleagues as well as internal and external stakeholders;
- Have excellent written and verbal English language communication skills;
- Keep all internal stakeholders updated and resolve queries quickly and effectively with a focus on building a culture of collaboration, communication and connection.
To qualify the successful candidate will have:
- Relevant tertiary qualification
- A minimum of 10 years’ experience in generalist HR (including hands on management of payroll and benefits) with at least 5 years at management level
- Experience in both a small organisation and a larger corporate environment, preferably a multi-national. Experience within the NGO sector would be an added advantage.
- Proven experience in effectively implementing people development strategies that are aligned to the organisational goals
- Experience in organisational and culture change effectively
Please forward your CV and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org who will be managing the response process for this opportunity.