Common Good is a Christian faith-based, not-for-profit organisation founded by Common Ground Church in 2005, working in a range of communities. We're passionate about addressing issues of social justice that challenge our city. They seek to make a positive and lasting impact in the areas of early life, education and employment, so that individuals and communities across Cape Town can build brighter futures for themselves.
Common Good seeks to apoint a High School Instructional Coach to be based in Cape Town.
For the last four years Common Good has had the privilege of being a pioneering school operating partner (SOP), mandated by the WCED to partner and strengthen a growing network of non-fee paying collaboration schools (now legislated as such) with the goal to improve learner outcomes and close the inequality gap between high performing resourced and no-fee public schools.
They are looking for a pioneering, resilient, dynamic individual who will work closely with our education team across our partner schools to provide curricular and instructional coaching to improve learner achievement, provide targeted teacher development and academic support to meet learner, school, and SOP goals. In particular, the Instructional Coach will be responsible for ensuring the professional development and growth of the educators as well as leading the curricular intervention required to close the achievement gap of the learners. This role is vital to instilling a culture of professional growth and development in the educators across our partner schools.
The successful individual will be responsible for the following duties, which are not limited to:
- Professional Development for Educators
- Observe, mentor, and provide guidance to identified high school educators and subject mentors across a range of subjects, age groups, and schools as ou r portfolio grows within
- Develop capabilities in teacher coaching as identified within schools and grown in SOP
- Contribute to leadership of teaching and learning to ensure alignment to Common Good’s goals of academic excellence
- Embed a culture of growth and support in the teachers at our schools
- Provide regular feedback to the Professional Development and Lead Coach based on observations of classroom instruction, content teams, and school-based professional development
- Contribute to the strategic direction of professional development for teachers based on best practices in effective instruction
- Create and deliver professional development programs for schools as required and support/supplement WCED trainings to ensure realization of teacher development goals
- Be accountable for the progress and development of teachers as aligned with SOP targets for school improvement.
Be aligned and committed to Common Good’s vision of high expectations and excellence in education
- A recognized teaching qualification which includes professional teacher education.
- At least 7 years’ high school teaching experience in a classroom environment.
- At least 2 years’ experience coaching/mentoring teachers in a high school environment
- Experience as a Grade Head/HOD
- Specific experience using proven strategies to improve learner attainment in literacy and numeracy.
- Willingness to contribute to the values and ethos of Common Good is essential.
- Preferred: Ability to speak, read and write isiXhosa
- Your own transport is essential, as you will be traveling between locations regularly
Competencies and Abilities:
- Highly proactive with good self-leadership
- Advanced problem-solving and decision-making skills
- A pioneering and resilient spirit that is open to working with various personalities within potentially challenging school contexts
- Competent and skilled communicator with high levels of emotional intelligence
- Approachable and trustworthy
- Excellent interpersonal skills & the ability to develop positive working relationships with individuals & teams
- Mature and responsible attitude towards work with the ability to take
- ownership of outcomes
- Highly adaptable to the ever-changing education landscape
- Excellent attention to detail
- Excellent time management & organisational skills
- Excellent cross-cultural communication skills
Skills and Knowledge:
- Advanced knowledge of the CAPS IP Curriculum
- Excellent personal teaching and learning practices
- Ability to co-create instructional support plans to foster teacher
- Advanced computer skills especially in Microsoft Office
To apply, please send a motivational cover letter, your CV and two recent work references to firstname.lastname@example.org by 13 April 2021
REF: Indicate the position title in the subject line
NOTE: An application will not in itself entitle the applicant to an interview or appointment.
Applicants who fail to meet the minimum requirements will be automatically disqualified from consideration. Applicants who do not receive a reply within one month of submission should
deem their application to have been unsuccessful. We reserve the right not to fill the position.
For more about Common Good, refer to https://www.commongood.org.za/
For other vacancies in the NGO sector, refer to www.ngopulse.org/vacancies