Africa Check is a non-profit organisation set up in 2012 to promote accuracy in public debate and the media in Africa. The goal of our work is to raise the quality of information available to society across the continent. Since 2012 we have fact-checked more than 1800 claims on topics from crime and race in South Africa to population numbers in Nigeria and fake health cures in countries around Africa. Our offices are in Nigeria, Senegal, Kenya and South Africa.
Based in our head office, located in the Journalism Department of Wits University in Johannesburg, Africa Check seeks to appoint a
The researcher is responsible for identifying important claims in public debate to be fact-checked, undertaking research to verify or debunk them, and writing up the findings in an easily understandable way.
Key responsibilities include:
- Researching and producing reports on key claims circulating in public debate in South Africa and surrounding countries
- Acting as a spokesperson for Africa Check, including speaking at events and in the media on claims in the researcher’s subject area
- Participating in training workshops and other events for media, civil society organisations, the general public and policymakers
- Contributing to impact tracking and assessment of Africa Check’s work, including reporting on a regular basis
- A bachelor’s degree
- A minimum of three years’ experience in fact-related fields such as media, research and academia
- Well-honed nonsense detector
- Passion for news and an interest in how social media works
- Ability to act impartially
- Attention to detail
- Ability to explain complex issues in simple language
- Strong numeracy, analytical and research skills
- Specialist subject knowledge in, for example, health, economics or statistics (advantageous)
Apply here: https://africacheck.org/get-involved/join-our-team
In your cover letter, suggest a claim in the news that should be fact-checked and importantly, why you think it matters.
Closing date: 8 April 2021
Should you not hear from us within two weeks from the closing date, please accept that your application was unsuccessful.