World Bicycle Relief (WBR) mobilizes people through the Power of Bicycles. We envision a world where distance is no longer a barrier to education, health services, and economic opportunity. Our robust Buffalo Bicycles are a cost-effective and reliable means of overcoming the challenges posed by long distances and systemic mobility challenges in developing countries. We are a mission-driven, global not-for-profit that manages a highly-refined bicycle supply chain from design through final distribution. WBR employs an ecosystem approach, with the end-user and community at the center of everything we do. This ensures that our activities are evidence-driven, and sustainable. We work collaboratively with field partners to design, test, and implement large-scale bicycle mobility programs. To-date we have distributed over 500,000 bicycles. Key results from include a 28% reduction in student absenteeism, 23% increase in farmer income and 45% increase in patient visits by healthcare workers.
Based in either United Kingdom (UK), European Union (EU) or Africa (priority given to Kenya, Malawi, Zambia and Zimbabwe), World Bicycle Relief seeks to fill the following vacancy:
RESEARCH AND EVALUATION MANAGER
Leads implementation of WBR’s research portfolio by designing high level research and evaluation measuring the impact of the Buffalo Bicycle on education, health and livelihoods. Generates strategic information for evidence-based decision making linked to organizational objectives and key results, and to support the Global Marketing, Communications and Influencing agenda.
The Research and Evaluation Manager must be an dynamic, analytical, creative individual with excellent written communication skills who works across countries providing high-level quality technical guidance to Programs, M&E, Product Development and Social Enterprise on study design, data collection and analysis, interpretation and reporting, contributing to adaptive management.
This position contributes to: 1) generating data for continuous program quality improvement and adaptive management; 2) building organizational capabilities on research, impact evaluation, operations research and learning; 3) contributing original knowledge to the field of mobility; and 4) generating quality data for communication, marketing and influencing/advocacy materials.
Key responsibilities of this position include but are not limited to:
- Demonstrates knowledge of the latest methods in program monitoring and evaluation, is also proficient in conducting market research and market analysis
- Practices utilization-focused evaluation, ensures the highest- level research and pilot design and study management to generate quality outcome and impact data
- Develops protocols for research study design, pilots and impact evaluation including development of data collection tools, methodology, data management and analysis
- Provides technical guidance to M&E, Program, Sales and Product staff on the development, implementation and evaluation of pilot projects, operations research, and evaluations
- Works with Database Manager to integrate ‘self-serve’ analytics into the culture of WBR
- Provides technical guidance to implementing partner organizations on impact evaluation design
- Translates data from measurement activities into infographic and summary formats that illustrate key findings for internal and external audiences, and support teams to integrate these findings (e.g., into communications materials, academic papers, conference presentations, donor reports, internal presentations)
- Conducts high level quantitative data analysis using appropriate and sound statistical tests
- Communicates research results in an engaging, creative way to ensure optimal use and understanding
- Oversees technical support of M&E Managers, including conducting performance management, execution of Objectives and Key Results and ensures sound implementation of research activities at country level
- Developes and managing annual research budgets
- Supports the identification and oversight of external consultants and research firms
The Research and Evaluation Manager must meet the following criteria:
- Masters’ degree in social development, statistics, public health, economics, related discipline (biostatistics/ epidemiology/demography advantageous), data science, or a social science field PhD in progress or completed a bonus
- Minimum 7 years experience in international development designing studies and conducting impact evaluations
- Significant experience coordinating pilots, operations/action research projects for social development or the commercial sector with particular emphasis on empirical studies in developing countries
- Knowledge, skills and experience in quantitative and qualitative research methods, data collection, management and analysis, report writing and editing, and visual presentation of research finding
- Experience managing staff required
- Demonstrated experience analysing large data sets using a statistical software essential, preferably STATA
- Computer skills and experience using MS Excel, Outlook and Access
- Experience working for a non-profit or research organization/foundation
Shortlisted candidates will be required to undergo practical assessment and share a publications record
View the full job description and application instructions on the vacancies page at www.actionappointments.co.za and email your application by
Wednesday, 17th March 2021 to firstname.lastname@example.org