Opportunity type: Fixed Term Employment
Location: Western Cape, Gauteng and Limpopo
X3 REGISTERED NURSE - ENTRY LEVEL
Higher Education and Training Health Wellness and Development Centre is an implementing agency of the Department of Higher Education and Training (DHET) in respect of health, wellness and development of students and staff at 26 public universities and 50 technical and vocational education and training (TVET) colleges, with some 400 campuses across the country. The organisation is a national force for youth development, inspiring and enabling students to safeguard their health and wellbeing and pursue opportunities for personal growth and social responsibility.
Higher Education and Training Health Wellness and Development Centre aims to contribute to the success of the higher education and training sector by:
- Improving the health and psycho-social wellbeing of students, thereby enabling larger numbers of students to complete their studies and graduate in sound health.
- Enriching the knowledge and skills students acquire in relation to health, mental wellbeing and social development, and preparing them for career and family responsibilities.
- Creating a campus environment that is conducive to student health and wellbeing and offers structured opportunities for their personal development.
Higher Education and Training Health Wellness and Development Centre invites applications for the position of x3 Registered Nurses to be based in Western Cape, Gauteng and Limpopo.
The primary focus of this role is to promote health & wellness to students. The incumbent will be based at TVET’s or Universities and will be required to travel to different campuses in urban and rural based colleges. He/she must be knowledgeable and experienced in the conducting COVID19 screening & testing, HTS, TB, STI and provision of contraception amongst others etc. Assessing how each facility conducts every aspect of HTS, TB, STI & COVID19 as well as waste management and data recording.
- A 3-year National diploma or bachelor’s degree in Nursing Science
- Registration with the South African Nursing Council or HPCSA
- At least 1 - 2years relevant nursing experience
- Code 10 Drivers licence is essential (non-negotiable)
- A PrDP would be advantageous
- Experience in the public health sector would be advantageous
- Good interpersonal skills and confidence
- Attentive to detail
- Maintain confidentiality
- Mid-level computer skills essential
- Ability to utilize available data to provide appropriate recommendations;
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Ability to multi-task combined with ability to prioritize tasks and ability to learn quickly
Duties & Responsibilities include but not limited to:
1. Service delivery
- Conducting screening as well as testing on COVID19;
- Develop & implement awareness campaigns on COVID19 and other health and safety programs at campus level with Campus Health & Wellness Coordinators;
- Conducting HIV/TB & STI testing for students and staff;
- Assessment and providing contraception and family planning to students & staff;
- Conducting general health & wellness screening for students and staff;
- Assisting TVET & University structures as well district DOH teams in contact tracing of COVID19 positive students & staff;
- Linkage students to care on COVID19, HTS, TB & STI and conduct follow ups;
- Travel to respective colleges and universities to conduct screening and testing as part of fleet management;
- Provide training, coaching & mentoring to Community Healthcare interns.
2. Communication and advocacy
- Participate in various trainings with district health, Higher Health training programs;
- Participate in district health forums and AIDS councils with Campus health & wellness coordinators;
- Participate in local forums with Campus Health & Wellness coordinators;
- Liaise with relevant partners for support;
- Liaison with Health facilities for collection of testing kits, supplies and commodities as well as delivery of the specimen to the assigned facilities;
- Monitoring the health status of students & staff;
- Set up a schedule for campus clinic visits or mobile testing station visits.
3. Health Safety & Wellness
- Developing disease prevention programs, such as smoking cessation, exercise, and healthy eating programs for students & staff;
- Observing and assessing the work environment for potential dangers and hazards;
- Overseeing and implementing emergency and disaster preparedness programs and planning;
- Serving as a gatekeeper for healthcare services, including rehabilitation and disability matters, GBV, LGBTQI etc.
- Assist with counselling of students on physical and mental health issues and guiding them toward community resources and/or other assistance programs.
- Maintain general facilities administration at both campus & provincial office level;
- Waste disposal in accordance to health regulations;
- Maintain stock control & administration of storage of supplies & commodities;
- Ensure that specimen handling, collection & delivery is strictly in accordance with the health regulations;
- Management of assets.
5. Data Reporting
- Maintain a register for reporting of stats of students and staff attended to daily;
- Documenting all students & staff illnesses and injuries;
- Developing reports as per DOH and Higher Health reporting templates;
- Submit daily, weekly, monthly reports of student & staff health status as agreed with Management.
Salary for the position is market related.
Interested candidates should please submit a one-page letter of motivation, CV and the names and contact details of at least three traceable referees, by close of business on 31 March 2021 to: firstname.lastname@example.org OR HR@higherhealth.ac.za
In your cover letter, please indicate province by order of preference. Preference will be given to candidate’s resident in the district/metro where a position is based. The position is subject to availability of funding and Higher Education and Training Health Wellness and Development Centre reserves the right not to make an appointment.