Health-e News Service
Health-e News Service is looking for a dynamic
Managing Editor to lead Africa’s first independent health news agency
Health-e News Service is South Africa’s award-winning dedicated health news service producing news and in-depth analysis for the country’s print, television and online media. In 2012, Health-e News opened a nationwide citizen journalism arm called “OurHealth”, which provides print features for newspapers, magazines and websites, and TV documentaries broadcast on SABC, eTV and M-Net.
Key performance areas:
- Managing a diverse multimedia and advocacy organisation, including editorial oversight over an award-winning team of journalists
- Overseeing the development and implementation of an annual strategic plan
- Managing client relations and expanding the client base
- Maintain existing and forge new strategic partnerships within the political, business and civil sectors
- Be primarily responsible for raising funds and for maintaining strong, informative, honest and dynamic relationships with funders
- Collaboratively set and drive organisational strategy and culture
- Directly manage and support the Operations and Finance Manager and Project Leads
- Be an opinion leader for the organisation at various forums, such as radio and television interviews, conferences, editorial contributions, etc.
- Ultimate fiduciary responsibility of the way that funds are managed
This position reports to a Board, and is a conduit for staff and management issues to the Board.
- Proven track record of executing strategy in a rapidly growing environment
- Experience in leading and managing a team that is diverse
- Postgraduate degree in development, journalism or media
- Strong ability to communicate (verbal and written) in English and at least one additional African language
- At least 5-10 years’ experience in senior management positions, can include editorial management
- Strong communication skills and a confident public speaker
- Experience managing relationships with funders and partners
- Ability to think outside the box and develop new approaches to health stories
- Experience working with a board of directors
- Experience in managing large budgets
- Great interpersonal skills
- Track record of managing organisational financial sustainability, including strong fundraising skills
- Experience in managing donor relations
- Experience in the media or NGO sector
- Will be required to work long hours
Preference will be given to candidates from previously disadvantaged groups.
Applicants should submit a covering letter, CV and three contactable references to firstname.lastname@example.org