|Job Title||Disaster Law Officer for Africa|
|Classification Level||To be confirmed|
||Disaster Law Programme|
|Immediate Supervisor’s Title||Head of Country Cluster Delegation, Southern Africa|
|Technical Line Manager||Disaster Law Coordinator for Africa|
|Duration of the contract||12 months with possible extension|
The IFRC’s Disaster Law Programme (DLP) promotes legal approaches to disaster management that make communities safer, humanitarian relief more effective and recovery stronger. It provides expert advice to National Societies and governments, undertakes legal research and fosters discussion and learning about the development of disaster law. The Programme operates under the mandates provided to the IFRC secretariat at the 28th, 30th and 31st International Conferences of the Red Cross and Red Crescent and in the IFRC’s Strategy 2030.
The Disaster Law Officer will support disaster law activities throughout the Africa Region. S/he works in close collaboration with other Regional Units as well as with National Societies in the region. The Officer forms an integral part of the IFRC’s global Disaster Law Programme team.
The purpose of this position is to support the management and implementation of the IFRC’s work on disaster law in the Africa Region. This include providing support to National Societies promoting Disaster Law projects in addition to conducting legal research and providing technical support in the drafting of legal and policy documents for effective disaster risk management. This position while based in Pretoria has a regional scope, and will provide support to the wider DL Africa team, reporting to the Disaster Law Regional Coordinator.
Job duties and responsibilities
Support the development and implementation of the DLP elements of the Operational Plan in the Africa region.
- Support National Societies in understanding and developing legal advocacy strategies and the implementation thereof in the field of Disaster Law
- Undertake capacity building of National Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies on legal issues in disaster response through the conduct of trainings and workshops on disaster law and legislative advocacy
- Provide technical assistance on strengthening disaster law through National Societies to relevant authorities, in particular through the timely implementation of high-quality country-level technical support projects.
- Support the development and implementation of regional advocacy and dissemination strategies on disaster law
- Activities include the dissemination and information-sharing activities, delivering presentations at meetings and conferences
- Support in the development, evaluation and piloting of Global Disaster Law Programme tools
- Provide technical review on legislative drafting and review procecesses to RECs, governments agencies and National Societies
- Support the DL Team engaging regional and sub regional organisations to advocate for DL as well as support in the development of instruments for use by member states in the development of national DL frameworks
- Support in the conduct of regional and national research as required, through collating information on national society, government and UN agencies policies pertaining to relevant issues under research
- Contribute to the development of Regional strategy, action plan and activities plan and priorities annually
Duties applicable to all staff
|1.||Actively work towards the achievement of the Federation Secretariat’s goals|
|2.||Abide by and work in accordance with the Red Cross and Red Crescent principles|
|3.||Perform any other work related duties and responsibilities that may be assigned by the line manager|
|Bachelor of Laws and advanced degree||x|
|At least 1 year of legal research experience||X|
|Experience in legal/academic writing and drafting||x|
|Experience in providing technical assistance in the development of legislation, including in developing countries||x|
|Experience within the International Red Cross and Red Crescent Movement||x|
|Knowledge and Skills||Required||Preferred|
|Sound knowledge and understanding of international and national law and policy-making processes||x|
|Good understanding of disaster preparedness and management concepts||x|
|Good understanding of the global humanitarian system||x|
|Excellent communications skills, both verbal and written||x|
|Fluent spoken and written English||x|
|Fluent spoken and written French||x|
|Working knowledge of other IFRC official languages is an asset (Portuguese / Arabic)||x|
|Competencies (to be filled in by HR)|
|National Society Relations|
|Results Focus & Accountability|
- Closing date: 12 March 2021
- Applicant who are interested, kindly forward your CV and motivational letter to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Duration of the contract: 12 months with possible extension
- Duty station: South Africa, Centurion
- For Non South African Residence, kindly provide a work permit that allows you to work in South Africa.