FINANCE MANAGER - EUROPE UNION
Higher Education and Training Health Wellness and Development Centre is an implementing agency of the Department of Higher Education and Training (DHET) in respect of health, wellness and development of students and staff at 26 public universities and 50 technical and vocational education and training (TVET) colleges, with some 400 campuses across the country. The organisation is a national force for youth development, inspiring and enabling students to safeguard their health and wellbeing and pursue opportunities for personal growth and social responsibility.
Higher Education and Training Health Wellness and Development Centre aims to contribute to the success of the higher education and training sector by:
- Improving the health and psycho-social wellbeing of students, thereby enabling larger numbers of students to complete their studies and graduate in sound health.
- Enriching the knowledge and skills students acquire in relation to health, mental wellbeing and social development, and preparing them for career and family responsibilities.
- Creating a campus environment that is conducive to student health and wellbeing and offers structured opportunities for their personal development.
Higher Education and Training Health Wellness and Development Centre invites applications for the position of Finance Manager-EU based at the Head Office in Centurion.
Reporting to the Director: Finance and Corporate Services, the Finance Manager EU is a member of the Finance and Corporate Services team providing full range of financial management support services to Europe Union project managers, Executive management team and Board Governance committees.
The Finance Manager is responsible for administering and monitoring the financial system in order to ensure that Europe Union finances are maintained in accurate and timely manner. S/he is also responsible for maintaining the accounts payable and accounts receivable systems in order to ensure complete and accurate records of all moneys, and for providing general budget monitoring and support services to the Director: Finance and Corporate Services.
REQUIRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- A recognized Honour’s degree in Accounting, Financial Management or qualified Chartered Accountant. An MBA will be an added advantage;
- Minimum 5 year’s experience in a financial management and leadership position;
- Proven experience in the preparation of financial statements (management accounts) and presentation of such reports to Management;
- Strong knowledge of leading financial and accounting practices (GAAP/IFRS) and taxation;
- Excellent strategic planning skills, Knowledge of risk, asset and procurement processes;
- Minimum 5 years supervisory experience in a small to medium sized organization;
- Proven experience in effective communication with internal and external stakeholders;
- Proven track record of on-time project delivery. Strong ability to develop and monitor project schedules and timelines to identify and meet critical milestones;
- Experience in leading and managing cross-functional teams of service providers;
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills with ability to clearly present and communicate technical and management concepts;
- Excellent organizational, time and stress management skills; and
- Advanced computer literacy, including MS Excel and Pastel.
Duties & Responsibilities include but not limited to:
The Finance Manager will be responsible for the satisfactory achievement of the entrusted functions and tasks described below. This position will oversee the EU Project in conjunction with the Technical Executive EU and developing skills and capacity development unit within HIGHER HEALTH.
Key Performance Areas:
1. Financial Management
- Monthly Cashflow forecast report.
- Management accounts- looking at each cost centre and sitting with each project manager to discuss the report
- Assist in preparation of HIGHER HEALTH operational plan for Corporate Services
- Run expenditure report monthly, check commitments
- Highlight any deviations from the budget, whether over/under expenditure
- Propose way forward
- Authorize beneficiaries
- Attend to all admin issues for all users
- Load the salaries payment batch monthly
2. Financial Reporting
- Monthly Reports to donors
- Grant reporting for EU projects
- Quarterly reporting
- Senior Management reports, board reports and operational planning reports
- Monthly Pastel GL reconciliations, including posting of month-end journals. Review and updating of batches captured in Pastel
- Prepare salaries journal monthly and prepare salaries refunds within the month
- Prepare motivation for new contracts or MOUs
- Ensure all tender processes are done within the correct policies
- Check MFPs have the correct supporting documentation and are within budget.
- Authorize new suppliers on ACOS after checking supporting documentation
- Tenders for IEC materials done according to budget
- Storage and distribution of IEC materials to campuses as needed
4. Compliance and Auditing
- Assist in preparation for external and internal audits by preparing audit packs monthly (TB, reports, recons)
- Adherence to policies and procedures
- Ensure compliance by HEIs on donor regulations
- Assist in preparation for donor audits as per donor request
- Ensure submissions are done and on time
- Human resource management, staff training and performance management
- Asset and Facilities Management
- Fleet management
- Corporate services - Regulatory and governance submissions
Salary for the position is market-related.
Interested candidates should please submit a one-page letter of motivation, CV and the names and contact details of at least three traceable referees, by close of business on 04 March 2021 to: HR@higherhealth.ac.za OR firstname.lastname@example.org
You are encouraged to submit a cover letter with your application. The position is subject to availability of funding and Higher Education and Training Health Wellness and Development Centre reserves the right not to make an appointment.