MIET Africa is an NPO working in education development across the Southern African Development Community Region.
MIET Africa seeks to appoint a Mid-level Digital Communications Officer to be based at MIET AFRICA’s Head Office in Durban.
Your role will be to raise awareness of MIET AFRICA’s work, increase the number of supporters and followers, and to ensure digital communications align with MIET AFRICA’s strategic focus. Experience in this area of work is essential!
MIET AFRICA is looking for a creative Digital Communications Officer to join our team. This position requires you to be responsible for the effective implementation of the organisation’s digital and social media strategy, and to provide support to the Advocacy, Communications and Materials Production Department with content creation and promotion.
The ideal candidate is an excellent writer, can identify stories easily and write copy quickly with minimal errors. Further, the candidate is highly creative and technically skilled, with a passion for innovative solutions to increase the digital presence of an organisation. Experience working in an NGO or the development arena would be an advantage.
This is a contract position, and the successful candidate
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
Working closely with the Manager, provide input into the development and implementation of our Advocacy and Communications Strategy.
- Create and oversee social media content (write copy and develop posts)
- Knowledge of social media principles and policies, SEO and website architecture and development
- Monitor SEO and user engagement and suggest content optimization
- Stay up to date with the latest social media best practices and technologies
- Use social media marketing tools and strategies
- Participate in, and be able to set up and host webinars and other online events relevant to the sector
- Work with project and programme managers and external materials developers, editors, and designers to ensure content is relevant, up-to-date, informative and appealing
- Measure the success of campaigns by providing quarterly reports
- Communicate and network with partners and sector professionals and influencers via social media to create a strong digital network
- Train/workshop colleagues in the organisation on how to maximise their digital performance
- Provide production support to the unit as needed
- Assist with ad hoc tasks as needed
Job requirements and Qualifications:
- Tertiary qualification in journalism, media and communications, marketing or similar, relevant to the position
- 5 years’ experience in a similar role
- Excellent knowledge of Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Pinterest, Instagram, Google+ and other social media platforms
- Excellent writing/editing/proof reading skills
- Excellent communication skills
- Understanding of SEO and web traffic metrics
- Experience with doing audience research
- Familiarity with web design and publishing
- Excellent multitasking skills
- Critical thinker and problem-solving skills
- Detail orientated
- Team player
- Good time-management skills – ability to meet deadlines under pressure is essential
- Great interpersonal and communication skills
- Previous work in the NGO sector would be an advantage
Interested applicants should email:
A letter of application, clearly stating ‘Digital Communications Officer’, and
- Curriculum Vitae (CV)
- Portfolio of written/published work, links to websites you have helped create, social media sites you manage/managed
- Copy of ID or passport
- Copy of driver’s licence
- Copy of latest salary slip
- Copy of the qualifications
Your application will not be considered if all the above is not sent in your application.
MIET AFRICA reserves the right not to fill the post or to re-advertise to widen the pool of applicants.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
For more about MIET Africa, refer to www.miet.co.za
For other vacancies in the NGO sector, refer to www.ngopulse.org/vacancies